Chapter Twenty-four

Today is the day where John is taking me out for some father and daughter bonding time. I wanted this day to go by very quickly. If I could swap this for a day of school I'd happily do it. Anything to get out of this.

John wanted to meet me at nine am but it was already ten, and I didn't really care. He can wait. I had a slow shower to kill more time, however time seemed to be going backwards. After the shower I put on denim shorts pairing it with a mint singlet.

"Weren't you meant to meet at nine?" Mum asked.

I looked at the time and it was eleven. I smiled at her innocently slipping on a pair pf converse. "No typical John, always changing the times. We're apparently meeting at eleven thirty" I shrugged.

Mum shrugged it off as I made my way to the café I was told to meet at. I looked at the café, nice choice actually. There was a fireplace at the centre surrounded by stools and tables and some benches.

I walked in and saw John in a chair flicking on his phone rather bored. I sat down in the chair opposite him as he looked up surprised that I came. I would've ditched but mum would have killed me.

"Your late" He tried to sound as though he was joking about it but he sounded rather annoyed.

"Sorry, must have gotten the times mixed up" I replied in a blank tone. He didn't even deserve that sorry.

There was an awkward silence that followed. It was especially awkward since people around us were talking and laughing making me look like the odd one.

"So, uh, how's school going?" John asks.

"Fine" I respond bluntly.

"Your mum said that you attend the environmental club" he says trying to start a conversation.

"She said what?" I ask.

"That you attend the environmental club" John replied not taking note of my confusion.

"Yeah, uh yeah I do" I lied frowning as I turned away.

Why would mum lie like that?

A waiter with the name tag April stopped at our table with a small note pad. She smiled at John in familiarity. "Hi John, your usual?" She asks disregarding me.

"Yes and the same for Avery" John said.

The waiter soon left. You can say I was confused.

John picked up my confused expression. "I used to take you here when you were little" John said smiling at the memory I can't remember.

"Before you left us?" I asked casually adding on a fake smile.

"Look Avery, I know it's hard to understand but I have changed. I'm not asking for you to forgive me but for you to give me another chance" John said.

"You want me to give you another chance?" I asked crossing my arms over my chest. John nodded.

I then started laughing which gave me annoyed looks from other people.

"Don't you get it, I will never forgive you" I spoke harshly.

Is it that hard for people to understand English?

"I said to give me another chance and I promise that I'll make it up to you. I made a stupid decision before to leave you guys. I want to rebuild this family. Don't you want a dad?" John asked.

"Nope" I replied bluntly.

He sighed. "Just think about it"

I hesitated in my mind. I mean I always wanted to fix this family and every single day of my life I wanted a dad, but I don't know if he's actually changed. If I make this mistake again our family will be ruined. Completely ruined.

Later that night when John left I had a talk to mom. "Why did you give him another chance?" I asked.

Mum already knew what I was talking about.

She sighed. "You need to learn to forgive. When your older, you don't want to have wished that you forgave that person. Trust me, I know from experience" she gave me a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder and left, leaving me to my own thoughts.

Although I knew that I would never forgive him.

I decided to just blame my stubbornness.

××

Hi guys
So I am truly sorry for not updating regularly but school has been very hectic these days, so I've been trying to get this in. How was this chapter? And should Avery forgive John or not?

Remember to comment and vote.
~ Ashley