Chapter 3 - Into the Storm Front

Before Annabeth had gone far she abruptly stopped and looked back at the Cocytus with a thoughtful expression. Her eyes scanned the river, searching for a flash of bronze. "Hazel, is there something made of celestial bronze in the Cocytus?"

Hazel raised an eyebrow and studied the river, reaching out with her power over riches. "Yes, there is," she said in shock, "how?"

Annabeth smiled, "Can you get it out for me?"

Hazel nodded slightly and drew the piece of metal towards her through the river. Annabeth stuck her hand into the water and scrabbled around for several seconds until her hand closed around the hilt of a dagger. She quickly drew back with a gasp, her face pale as she looked at the dagger in her hand.

The blade was shiny as if it had just been polished, but the edge was now serrated like someone had hacked away at it. Thalia's eyes widened as she recognised the dagger. "That's... impossible. Your dagger has been lying in the Cocytus for three hundred years?"

"Apparently so," Annabeth murmured.

Nico frowned, "Annabeth, you stuck your hand into the river. What did it say?"

"He's gone," Annabeth recited, "they have him. Give in; daughter of Athena, Perseus Jackson is gone."

The demigods were silent, and Thalia shook her head. "No. KelpHead wouldn't give in; give him more faith, Bird Brain."

"Thalia's right," Nico said, "Percy has defeated Kronos before. Not even Tartarus will be able to make him give in."

"That's what I'm afraid of," Annabeth said as she studied the dagger that Luke had given her so long ago. "What if the Titans want revenge? He's been down here for three centuries – that's more than enough time for them."

"Well," Clarisse said, "if he's given in I'll happily help you to bring him back to his senses."

"She's right," Jason said, "we'll all help you. If Jackson's given in I'll happily help haul him out of this Pit kicking and screaming if I have to."

Annabeth laughed, "We should go. The longer we stay in one place the more likely it is that a monster will find us."

The demigods nodded in agreement as Nico scanned their surroundings for any monsters. Annabeth quickly strode off in the direction of the cliffs.

It hadn't taken Jason and Frank long to safely fly everyone down the cliff. As Annabeth walked she inspected the new look of her dagger. The middle of the blade was jet black and freezing to touch, and the hilt seemed moulded to her grip with intricate black swirls on the once simple leather-bound wooden hilt. Leo handed one of his home made quivers of arrows to Frank and another to Thalia as they walked to distract himself.

"So, hydra, heavy, explosive, sonic, barbed, fire, and net." He said with a wide grin, "Hydra arrows split up to form a ladder when they hit something. Heavy arrows are heavier than normal ones and can – hopefully – punch straight through the best armour. Explosive arrows are like Greek fire bombs, they release an explosion of Greek fire. Sonic arrows, well Apollo cabin has them back at camp. Barbed arrows catch on flesh as they are pulled out, effectively causing double damage. Fire arrows release a wave of fire upon contact, and net arrows make nets."

Frank's eyes were wide as he took his new quiver and slung it over his back, "You made all of these last night? You couldn't have gotten any sleep."

"Well, no," Leo muttered sheepishly, "but it was worth it."

Thalia laughed, "I think you've outdone yourself, Leo. These will be very helpful down here, I can feel it."

Leo shrugged, "Well, I didn't want any of us to die down here, so..."