Chapter 48 - Fall of a King

Thalia crouched down, studying the small pool of ichor and nodded at Annabeth. "I got him," she said proudly.

"Do you know where he went?" Annabeth asked. "It wouldn't be good to lose him after managing to shoot him."

"Will said the poison would take only a couple of minutes to kick in," Jason said.

"He's still dangerous," Hazel stated. "Just because he'll have increasingly less energy doesn't mean we should drop our guards."

"Hey," Thalia said, looking at the slightly open doors to the building next to them. "He went in there."

Annabeth nodded, taking out her drakon bone sword. "He won't be able to flash out, so if we're careful we can trap him."

Thalia nodded. "Be very careful. Everyone knows a cornered animal will fight until they can literally not fight any longer. Kronos will be no different."

"Comparing him to a wild animal?" Nico asked.

"That's all he is," Thalia grumbled, taking out her hunting knives and shoving the door open the rest of the way. "Someone will have to watch my back as I follow the trail," she warned.

"I've got it," Jason said, stepping forward so he was by her side, his sword out and raised.

Thalia followed the trail of ichor, crouching low to see the golden blood in the darkness. She slowly stepped up the staircase to the second floor as the sun crept below the horizon, the ichor glowing faintly in the half-light.

Thalia quickly realized that Kronos had apparently decided to get as high as possible, as on the eighth floor she found the shaft of her arrow, which had been snapped in half against a wall. The drops of ichor were getting closer and closer together, which showed he was slowing down.

"Do you know where Will, Piper and Frank are?" Thalia asked as she followed the trail to a room with the door shut.

"Waiting around the corner," Annabeth said. "He's in there?"

Thalia nodded. "Ready?"

The half-bloods all made various sounds of agreement, and Thalia opened the door. She expected Kronos to come flying at them with his scythe, but the room was silent and nothing moved.

"Sure this is the right room?" Abiron asked skeptically as they all moved further into the room.

"Definitely," Thalia murmured, raising her knives in front of her. "He's in here. Just hiding."

Desks and computers covered the room, leaving a lot of ways Kronos could attack them from. "Keep your eyes peeled," Annabeth warned.

To their left a chair suddenly toppled over, the half-bloods turning towards it. Annabeth spun around, her eyes widening as she saw a black blur race across the opposite side of the room and out the door.

"He's a wolf," Annabeth said, quickly running after him with all the half-bloods following her.

The trail of ichor was easier to follow, even though the only light was their weapons – and it was a very faint light.

"In this room," Thalia said, following the trail to a room which was open, the door practically on its hinges. She entered the room, her hunting knives ready.

"This time," Annabeth said, "we corner him in. In a line, and we move forward."

The demigods quickly did as she'd said, staying within arm's length of each other in case something happened. "It's like the set of a horror movie," Leo mumbled.