Chapter 59 - To Olympus

Percy used Backbiter to cut through Poseidon's bindings once he judged they were far enough from Othrys. Poseidon rubbed his wrists, his eyes flickering towards his son as Percy made Backbiter fade away. "Percy, surely it's best that Kronos stays on Olympus," Poseidon said as he followed the Titan.

Percy shook his head. "That's not an option, dad," Percy said firmly. "He'll be coming back to Othrys with me."

"Percy, he will destroy the earth to get what he wants," Poseidon protested. "He may not even like you as much as you think. He could just be using you."

"Dad, he started off like that, but that's not what he thinks now. I know it isn't," he added, thinking back to the way Kronos had looked at him on the pier the last time they'd seen each other.

Poseidon ground his teeth together. "Kronos is a master at deception, Percy. He's not called The Crooked One for nothing. It's definitely possible that he'd play you like this."

Percy sighed. "I know. And that's what it was at first, but not anymore. Dad, I can stop him from killing everyone. Please, just trust me. I know what I'm doing. I've been doing it for... ages now. Please."

Poseidon grimaced. "This is a risk. He can't hurt anyone where he is now."

Percy snorted. "No, instead he's the one being hurt. That's fair."

"Percy-"

"I'll be taking him so he can't hurt anyone there," Percy said. "Dad, do you really think that he'd be taken down as easily as he was? He had a plan. I don't know what it was, but he had one. It's gonna be safer for everyone to get him out of Olympus. Just trust me, Dad. No one's gonna get hurt."

Poseidon sighed. "I do trust you, Percy. It's Kronos that I don't trust."

Percy rolled his eyes and grabbed Poseidon's hand, vapour travelling them to the border between Titan and Olympian territory. "And I do trust him," he said, "so please."

Poseidon reluctantly nodded. "Very well, Percy. But I'll be watching him."

"Percy, Lord Poseidon?" a voice suddenly called, and before Percy knows it they're surrounded by demigods in armour and wielding very sharp weapons. "How the Hades did you two get out?"

It takes Percy several seconds to place the demigod's voice with a name. "Connor?" he asked the son of Hermes.

Connor Stoll nodded. "Yeah. Dude, how did the two of you get out?"

Percy grinned and shrugged. "The Titans weren't really concentrating on keeping us there. They're more alone the lines of planning how they're gonna get Kronos back." He shifted the strap over his shoulder. "Helped us to get out."

"Is anyone going to let us through?" Poseidon asked. "I'd rather like to have a bath. It's been several months and I've had no bath, and no change of clothes."

"Sorry, Lord Poseidon," Connor apologised. "Come on. Let's get you two through the checkpoint."

Percy frowned lightly. "Checkpoint?"

Connor nodded. "Yeah. The gods put up a barrier to stop any Titans from just flashing over here and tearing everything up. They're placed at intervals along the border."

Percy nodded slightly. "Huh, so that's why the Titans couldn't get through to Kronos."

In the first few weeks they'd all tried desperately to get through to Kronos, trying to flash to New York, through Texas and all the way to North Dakota. But they'd eventually given up.

Connor grinned. "Yeah. Though nothing's happened recently. All activity has died down. Athena thinks they're planning something."

Percy shared a look with Poseidon. Well, he thought, they're not wrong. Percy made a mental note to inform Iapetus of the barrier. The demigods murmured at each other as Percy and Poseidon passed into Olympian territory, and Percy found himself becoming tense as he realised that maybe he'd not be able to pass – he was, after all, a Titan.