Chapter 49 - Hydra

When Kronos' presence disappeared Percy started panicking.

Yeah, sure he was already worried. But now he was terrified.

Percy was trying to follow Kronos' trail with Iapetus, Krios and Lelantos' help. Lelantos was a second generation Titan – the Titan of the Air and Hunter's Skill of Stalking Prey, which meant he could have been Artemis' Titan equivalent. If not for the fact that he was constantly hitting on the female Titans (and half-bloods) in Othrys. Though he was the best tracker the Titans had.

They tracked Kronos' path through San Francisco, Lelantos flying up to the rooftops to follow the trail and the other three Titans running along the road after him.

Iapetus cast a brief glance at Percy, noting the fear and worry in his eyes. "He'll be fine, Percy. Even if something has happened he can easily take care of himself."

"But I lead them straight to him, Iapetus," Percy choked out. "If something's happened it's all my fault."

"I hardly think that's what Kronos would be thinking," Iapetus said with a faint smile. "Knowing him he'll be debating the many ways to rip their heads off."

Percy snorted. "Probably," he agreed, smiling slightly before his expression fell again. "It's just-"

"Kronos won't blame you. He'll blame himself for not telling you what they were here for."

"Hey," Lelantos called, "I think you're going to want to see this."

Percy sped up to catch up to the winged Titan who was now crouched on the ground. The son of Poseidon froze upon seeing what was lying on the ground and picked it up, hating the small puddle of ichor it was lying in. The hilt was slick from the immortal blood, and Percy immediately recognised the double-edged sword in his hands.

"Backbiter," Krios said, causing Percy to shoot him a frown.

"Yeah, I know," he said, drying the hilt with his shirt. "Something definitely happened to him. He wouldn't leave his symbol of power lying around."

"And certainly not in a pool of ichor," Iapetus added.

"Lelantos, do you know where he went next?" Percy asked, glancing briefly at Iapetus.

Lelantos nodded to a trail of ichor leading into a big office building. "Through there."

Percy felt slightly stupid as he nodded. "Right. Lead the way," he said, sheathing Backbiter in the sheath which appeared at his side.

Lelantos stalked into the building, leading them up several floors before abruptly stopping and crouching, standing again with the feathered end of an arrow in his hand and handing it to Percy before shooting down the corridor.

"Lelantos, I think you've missed something," Krios called.

Lelantos didn't even glance back. "If you look closely you can see that Kronos left that room and came down here."

Percy raised an eyebrow at Krios. "This is his domain, Krios."

The Titan shook his head slightly as he followed them, Iapetus strolling along beside him.

Percy entered the room after Lelantos and immediately pulled up short. "By Chaos," he muttered, uneasily scanning the room. Blood was covering the floor, mixed with ichor which made it seem bronze in the sunrise. Percy crouched down, running his hand through the ichor and studying it.

"The power in it isn't strong," he murmured. "It's Annabeth's."

"And this is Kronos'," Lelantos said, running his hand over the desk.