Chapter 54 - The Difference of Kings

"How's he holding up?" Annabeth asked, keeping one hand on the wheel as she passed a bottle of water through the mesh to Will.

Will shrugged, glancing back at Kronos. "Good. That ambrosia from Elpis worked well. Maybe too well." The Titan's injuries had healed quickly after Will had forced the ambrosia down his throat. That had been the day before, and now Camp Half-Blood was rapidly approaching. "Though his jaw's still broken. I managed to set it, but his constant movement isn't helping it heal."

"Then stop him from moving," Thalia said.

Will shook his head. "That's a lot easier said than done. Have you ever tried to do that? Besides, if he wants to stop himself from healing completely then he's welcome too. The gods would probably be thankful he can't talk without harming himself." A threatening growl came through Kronos' gag, causing Will to grin. "How long until we're there?"

"Not long," Annabeth said even as she pressed down on the accelerator and the van sped up.

Kronos grunted, vainly trying to break out of the ropes. Will smiled wider. "Haven't you realised that's not gonna work yet?"

The Titan paused to glare at Will - since they had not replaced his blindfold - and the new scar over the bridge of his nose rippled.

"Hey, look up," Thalia said, watching over a dozen lights streak across the sky towards Half-Blood Hill, "the gods are flashing." Kronos jerked against the ropes, glowering at her.

"Then hurry up," Will urged. "Don't waste time."

"Is that even possible?" Thalia wondered, turning to face Kronos. "Can you even get wasted or does alcohol not affect you?"

"Not the time, Thalia," Annabeth sighed. "Let's just finish this."

When the vans stopped at the top of Half-Blood Hill there were shouts from the valley below. The majority of the campers immediately started running to the vans as the questers turned to the gods.

"Where are your missing members?" Zeus demanded.

"They left with Krios when he caught up to us," Thalia called from inside the van. "Willingly."

Zeus' eyes narrowed. "They've betrayed Olympus?"

"Finally someone else who sees it my way," Thalia grumbled.

"Oh, be quiet, Thalia," Nico growled before turning to Will. "You're alright?"

Will nodded. "He's tied up. Nothing happened."

"Anyone gonna help me here?" Thalia called. "I can't do this alone." Annabeth and Nico scrambled back into the van which held Kronos, opening the mesh door and stopping beside Thalia. "Good."

"We shouldn't try to get him out completely," Annabeth murmured. "He could get free." She carefully slashed through the rope keeping Kronos tied to the back door.

"This one next?" Nico asked, gesturing to the rope tied to the floor.

Annabeth nodded. "Yes. Then we'll untie the other two."

Kronos was glaring at her as she moved to untie one, Thalia doing the other. Annabeth ensured she kept a tight grip as Kronos pulled away, nearly succeeding at freeing himself.

"Lord Zeus," Annabeth called as she gestured for Thalia to stop, "I think we'll need some help in here."

Almost immediately the doors opened and Ares marched in, closely followed by Hephaestus. Kronos twitched as the gods approached, his golden eyes smouldering as they grabbed him. Annabeth nodded to Thalia and they used the rest of the ropes to fortify the bonds around the Titan's wrists before he was dragged out of the van.