Chapter 62 - Freeing a Genocidal King

Percy stuck to the shadows. It was very easy to slip between the temples and palaces on Olympus. Amusingly easy.

His discussion with his mother had made him more determined than ever to save Kronos. Backbiter was in its sheath at Percy's side, the dagger a solid and comforting weight at his side.

Riptide was in Percy's pocket and Tsunami sheathed at his side.

Percy let out a long breath before he approached the guards at the entrance to the cells.

"No one is allowed down here without permission of Lord Zeus," the guard said promptly.

"I have permission," Percy retorted. "Let me through."

"I'm afraid we'll have to check with Lord Zeus," the guard started, "if you wait here then we can go and ask him for-"

Percy unsheathed Tsunami. "That wasn't a request."

The guards moved quickly, but Percy had been trained by Kronos. The first was stabbed through the stomach and the second decapitated within seconds. Percy stepped over them into the cells.

Greek fire torches lit the way for Percy, although he didn't need them. He was following Kronos' presence. He didn't stop when he emerged into the main cells, instead going straight to Kronos.

The Titan was standing and waiting patiently for him, hands clasped behind his back. "It's about time, Perseus."

"Do you want me to leave you here?" Percy asked pointedly.

Kronos tilted his head to the side, looking weirdly alike to a dopy dog. "We both know you wouldn't do that."

Percy thrusts Tsunami through the lock, the Titan blade easily breaking the bronze apart. "Shup up," he said.

The door swings open and Percy grabs Backbiter from its sheath, presenting the blade to Kronos hilt-first. Kronos takes the weapon with a wicked smile. "You forgot the camera."

Percy grinned. "I didn't forget anything." He headed towards the exit. "Come on."

The two Titans emerged back outside onto Olympus, Kronos spinning his weapon in his hand. The older Titan snorted when he saw the bodies of the two guards. "Very subtle," he remarked.

Percy shushed him. "Just follow me," he ordered.

He should have known something would go wrong. There's entirely no way he could have gotten off Olympus before the gods realised something had happened. But it still made him jump when the alarms started blaring.

"We've got to get back to camp," Percy told Kronos. "Cause enough problems here to keep the gods occupied for the night then I'll hide you in my cabin until morning."

"Will we be doing anything in that time?" Kronos asked innocently.

"Your mind should be concentrating on finding a way out," Percy deadpanned. "Not on sex."

"So we will be?"

"Kronos. Concentrate."

"I am," the King grumbled. "Follow me."

It was easier said than done. Since Kronos had been locked up for so long, he shot off like a rocket. Percy scrambled to catch up, wanting to know why the Tartarus Kronos was just running along the street in the open.

He realised why as soon as they encountered the first group of guards. Kronos didn't slow down as their startled shouts echoed around Olympus. Backbiter was a blur of motion as it severed one head, Percy unhesitatingly stabbing another guard in the neck as he shoved him over. The two decimated the dozen guards in only seconds. Kronos laughed as they continued, and Percy knew he was purposefully drawing out the gods.