Chapter 9 - Trapped in the Past

Leo was sure he was hallucinating. It just wasn't possible that a drakon – a monster, of all things – could have smashed through the wall of the cells and bury the Titan King. It wasn't possible that Bob had been riding it. It definitely wasn't possible that Annabeth was dead.

Bob hummed to himself as he studied the pile of rocks that Kronos was currently buried under. "I give it no more than five minutes before he gets out," he turned to the demigods, "so I would hurry if I were you. The Maeonian Drakon won't wait."

There was silence for several more moments as the demigods stared at Bob, feeling their adrenaline rushes run out and sagging as their tiredness caught up to them. "Hold up a minute," Leo said as he held a hand up, "you disappeared, and left us on our own to fight Mr. Time over there," he waved in the general direction of Kronos, " just to find a friendly drakon?"

Bob rubbed the back of his neck, "Uh, yes."

Leo nodded, "Ok. My brain feels dead."

Thalia looked over at Percy, seeing how his eyes seemed dead and lifeless as he stared at the body of Annabeth. "Kelp Head," she called as she quickly walked over, "are you ok?"

"I think you should define ok for him, Thals," Jason said as he too came over.

"He killed her," Percy mumbled, still staring at Annabeth, "stabbed her."

Thalia frowned as she scanned him over, noting the dozens of cuts and scars littering his body. Her eyes landed on his right forearm and narrowed slightly as she made out a letter. Percy turned his arm away so she couldn't see.

"Percy, what's on your arm?" Thalia asked.

Percy flinched back and swallowed thickly, choosing to not answer, and instead stare blankly at her. The pile of rubble where Kronos was buried shifted slightly, causing rocks to start a small avalanche. "Leo!" Jason called, "Think you can break into the cell?"

"Breaking into things is my speciality," Leo said as he fished a few gadgets out of his tool belt and set to work on the lock.

Thalia immediately turned away from the cell and made her way to Annabeth. The remaining demigods were all crowding around her in a circle and Thalia managed to shove her way through them to kneel at her little sister in all but blood's side. "Annie," she murmured as she saw the mortal wound.

Annabeth's eyes were wide and unseeing as she stared up at the ceiling, but she was still breathing. Thalia grabbed her hand and Annabeth moved weakly, "Promise me..." she murmured, "get Seaweed Brain out...please."

Thalia nodded grimly, "I will, don't worry. Kronos will pay for what he's done."

"Good," Annabeth said, "Thals?"

"Yes?" Thalia asked as she rubbed at her eyes in an attempt to not cry in front of the other immortal demigods.

Annabeth struggled to speak. "I couldn't have asked for a better sister."

Thalia took a shaky breath. "Neither could I."

Annabeth nodded slightly and relaxed back as her hand fell limp, the only sound was Kronos' shouts of rage as he tried to force the rocks off of him, but none of the demigods cared about him. Annabeth breathed out and the light left her eyes as her head turned to one side and she completely relaxed, her face a simple picture of serenity.

Thalia took a shaky breath and stood up, shooting an icy cold glare at where Kronos was buried, she turned to Leo just as he shouted: "Done it!"

The cell door swung open and Leo darted inside, immediately running towards Percy. The son of Poseidon flinched back as Leo approached, his eyes filling with fear as the fire-user advanced.