Chapter 7 - The River of Fire

Annabeth sucked in a breath, "Oh this is going to be hard." The demigods had followed the cliff sand immediately found a vantage point that overlooked the entire plain.

"How many are there?" Piper asked with wide eyes.

"A few thousand," Clarisse said grinning widely as she looked down at the hordes of monsters roaming the plain.

"I can sense ten, maybe twelve Titans," Nico muttered. "That's including Kronos."

Thalia frowned slightly, "How will we do this then?"

Annabeth crept back from the ledge and took out her laptop, quickly clicking on the design of the cells that Bob had drawn. "Percy's in the lower levels. We can cause a distraction by setting free the captives in there."

"Aren't most of them monsters?" Nico asked carefully.

"We have to hope that they'll hate the Titans and want to help," Annabeth said.

"What're the chances of that?" Hazel asked.

"Not very high," Annabeth admitted as she closed up the laptop.

Frank stepped away from the other demigods and changed his form into a Chinese dragon. They quickly scrambled into his back as Annabeth put away the laptop. "Be very quiet as you fly, Frank," Annabeth said warningly as she climbed onto him. "We don't want to draw attention."

Frank slowly moved to the edge of the vantage point and looked over the edge. Thalia paled, "Maybe this isn't such a good idea."

"Too late now," Jason called back.

"That's what I'm afraid of," Thalia muttered as the edge was almost right below her.

"Just shut your eyes," Nico advised, "it'll be fine."

Frank slithered off the edge and his wings immediately caught, flaring out as he slowly glided over the plain. Without thinking about what she was doing, Thalia wrapped her arms around Nico in her fear. Nico tensed and was very tempted to throw her off Frank's back.

Below them, the monsters roamed around and occasionally started fights. Clarisse saw the Minotaur as it charged a hellhound, and Piper saw a flash of gold darting amongst the monsters. "Holy Hades," Jason muttered, "there are tens of thousands of them."

"This is terrible," Hazel said, "if they get out of Tartarus we'll all be swamped in days."

Annabeth made split second decision. "Leo, you see Hyperion?"

"Yes," Leo said once he had found the Titan of Light, "why?"

"Think you can make his fire go out of control to kill off some monsters?" Annabeth asked.

Leo concentrated on the Titan's flaming armour and felt a force blocking him at first, but he soon managed to break through it. As the demigods watched, the Titan suddenly flared up like a bonfire and the fire burst out in all directions. Leo collapsed forward and would have rolled off Frank if Clarisse hadn't grabbed him.

"What happened?" Clarisse demanded.

"It was like a nail was being driven into my head," Leo winced as he looked down. Nearly two hundred monsters had been killed by the sudden burst of fire.

"Let's not try that again," Jason said with worry clear in his voice.

Leo nodded in agreement, "That sounds like a good idea." He looked in front of them and his eyes widened. "Hey, Annabeth, where are we landing?"

"As low as we can where there is a ledge and we're not visible," she replied as she studied the structure in front of them. "The fifth floor, there's an entrance."