Chapter 12 - Path of Curses

Percy was expecting incredulous looks from the other half-bloods, but they seemed to take it in stride and didn't even ask him loads of useless questions – though Thalia and Clarisse obviously wanted to know everything. Oceanus' sword had a lot of power shimmering below the surface, a lot like the sea – the calm shielding the strength. The blade hummed as he studied it, seemingly having a life of its own and reacting to his touch. He remembered when Oceanus had fought Poseidon in the Titan War, Oceanus' sword had been a silver serpent writhing in his hand, but now the weapon only hummed.

"Percy," Nico called, "are you ready?"

Percy looked up and nodded, pushing himself off the drakon-hide bed he had withdrawn to after beating the ocean Titan in an attempt at distancing himself. He smoothly sheathed the silver sword and stood up. "When do we start?"

"Now," Jason said with his hand in the pommel of Koios' sword.

Percy nodded, "You've all memorised the route?" When they all spoke various affirmations he relaxed slightly, "Good." He turned to looked a Damasen gratefully, "Thank you for allowing us to rest here whilst I recovered, my friend."

Damasen's smile didn't reach his eyes as he looked at Percy, "Your trials are not yet finished, child of the sea. The Titan King's oath to you he will not break, and you shall be left alone as no half-blood in history."

Percy swallowed nervously, his eyes narrowing, "My life is my life. I'll live it how I want."

Damasen shook his head, "The Fates cannot be tricked nor beaten. I meant no insult to you, Perseus, merely a warning."

"Percy," Iapetus called from outside the hut.

Percy quickly strode out of the hut, barely giving Jason time to move out of the way as he shoved past. Outside the hut Iapetus was sitting on a boulder, fingering the tip of his spear as he watched for anymore enemies to find them. "Bob," Percy greeted.

Iapetus snorted, "Why do you insist on calling me that?"

"Because you're more Bob than you are Iapetus, and Bob helped me before," Percy calmly replied.

Iapetus nodded slightly, "I won't be joining you in your journey out of the Pit, as I will have to delay any of the other of my brethren that Lord Kronos sends." He stood up, turning to look straight at Percy, "I have a gift for you, before you go."

Percy cocked his head to the side. "A gift?" He echoed, "What for?"

Iapetus chuckled and let out a sharp whistle that pierced the surroundings. "An old friend wishes to see you again," he said cryptically as he tried to not think about his alike to his youngest brother Percy looked in that simple movement.

Percy frowned, "I don't think I have any friends down here."

"Your fellow demigods," Iapetus said pointedly.

"No," Percy said with a shake of his head, "I haven't seen them for three centuries. They would've changed too much. I feel like I don't know them anymore," he admitted.

"It will get better, Perseus, that I can promise you," Iapetus said vehemently.

"No, it won't. When I get out of here I'll go insane, won't I?" Percy asked weakly, "Only Tartarus is protecting me at the moment."

"Gradually, you will, yes. If you keep to yourself, that is. Find your place in the Camp for half-bloods again, and you won't become completely insane. You shall have an anchor, Perseus, much like a ship out at sea. An anchor will ground you and keep you from drifting away."