Chapter 34 - Hit and Run

Percy was seriously pissed. Kronos was ignoring him.

Percy would walk down the corridor and see Kronos walking down it towards him, but then Kronos would turn and retreat back down the corridor and take another way to wherever the hell he was going.

Luke seemed happy with whatever was going on, and so did Beckendorf and Silena. And Iapetus. The rest of the Titans were also getting curious about it, because before Percy had been following Kronos around everywhere.

Percy was very tempted to scream and hit something – preferably Kronos – and demand to know what was going on.

The worst thing? Percy missed the prick. He kept waking up screaming and he found himself instinctively looking over to the side of the bed which Kronos should be on, but found nothing but air.

Percy stabbed his lunch with his fork, completely ignoring Luke at his side. Beckendorf, Chris, Ethan and Silena sat around them. The noise in the mess hall was almost unbearable. Percy glanced up, his eyes landing on where Kronos was whacking Iapetus over the head. A small smile formed across his lips, and as if he'd suddenly sensed him Kronos met his eyes across the mess hall. The King jerked his eyes away back to Iapetus when the older Titan said something, and whatever it was it made Kronos shove his brother off the chair.

"Percy," Beckendorf said, waving his hand in front of Percy's face.

"Huh?" Percy asked.

Beck sighed. "That's the third time you've done that today alone."

Percy shook his head. "Sorry. I'm thinking."

Luke glanced at Silena who nodded slightly, and Luke scowled. "Perce, come on. Finish your lunch."

Percy scowled, but did as Luke said, his mind wandering back to the night before. He'd woken up in the middle of the night like the last week after the Second Sack of Rome – as the demigods and monsters had taken to calling it – and Kronos' side of the bed had been warm. Percy wasn't an idiot, contrary to popular belief, so he knew what that meant. Kronos had snuck in in the middle of the night and left before Percy had woken up.

"Percy!" Luke exclaimed exasperatedly.

"Sorry," Percy apologised, letting his fork fall to hit his plate. Percy stood up. "I'm not really hungry," he confessed. "I'll meet you guys in the arena."

Luke watched him leave before turning to Silena. "Does he... you know."

"Love him?" Silena asked. "It's hard to tell. He likes him, yet hates him at the same time. It's dangerous – very dangerous."

Luke swore under his breath. "So he does?"

"Have you heard of Stockholm Syndrome?" Silena asked.

Luke frowned. "Isn't that about... oh. You think that's what's happening."

Silena nodded. "I think that's part of it. A hostage – that's Percy – developing feelings for the one who kidnapped them. It's pretty complicated, but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on."

Ethan almost choked on his water. "So he does love Kronos?"

"Everyone loves Kronos," Iapetus interrupted as he sat down next to Ethan.

Luke raised an eyebrow. "Uh, what are you doing here?"

"I heard my name," an amused voice said, and Kronos sat down in the seat Percy had vacated.

Luke swore under his breath, jumping slightly in his seat.

Kronos smirked. "Did I surprise you?"