Chapter 50 - Waking Up

The monsters were surprisingly accepting of the change in leadership, though Percy guessed they were just happy to no longer be headless with Kronos' disappearance.

Leander grinned widely at Percy, not knowing what had been happening recently. Percy smiled faintly in response. "Hey, Lee," he greeted.

The demititan had launched himself at Percy as soon as he'd entered the mess hall, clinging to Percy until he picked him up. The lion purred, rubbing against his legs.

Percy frowned at the lioness. "Where've you been recently?" he asked. "You know what? It doesn't matter."

The lioness seemed satisfied with that, trailing after him as he sat down at his usual spot. Percy avoided the stares of the monsters and demigods as he started eating, tired from his lack of sleep during the previous night.

His hand fell to the hilt of Backbiter, the blade seemingly humming contentedly at his touch. Percy clenched his hand around the grip before letting go, Kronos' presence stemming from the ancient weapon.

"Heard you got promoted," Beckendorf said as he sat across from Percy.

"Does this mean we have to call you Queen Perseus now?" Chris asked.

Percy glared at him. "Definitely not."

"Sure? I think it suits you."

Percy's eyes narrowed. "I hate you."

"Everyone does. Don't worry, Percy, you're not the only one," Alabaster said, sitting on the edge of the bench.

"Why are all of you joining me?" Percy complained, even as Leander cheerfully greeted Alabaster – the son of Hecate – with his arms open in an obvious attempt at being picked up.

"We wanted to greet the new Queen properly," Silena said smoothly.

"Stop calling me that!" Percy exclaimed.

"But it's what you are," Chris mused.

"Hey, give him some space," Luke said as he slipped in next to Percy, happily taking Leander from Al.

"Thank you," Percy sighed.

"The Queen needs to have some room," Luke continued.

"Stop it!" Percy shouted. "By Chaos, Luke!"

Luke just smiled. "To be fair, Oceanus did introduce you as Queen Perseus to all of us."

Percy muttered several curses under his breath. "I'll get him back later," he decided, handing the lioness some meat off his meal – he wasn't really that hungry. Percy stood up, relieving Luke of Leander. "Send me an Arke Message if something happens?"

Luke nodded. "Sure. Where are you going?"

Percy shrugged. "I'll go see my dad. He probably wants to know what's happened."

"Figure out if he knows anything," a voice murmured in Percy's ear, and Percy jumped as he turned, coming face-to-face with Iapetus.

"Great Chaos, Iapetus," Percy growled. "Do you have to do that all the time?" he demanded.

Iapetus smiled faintly. "My apologies, Percy. But in all seriousness, Poseidon likely knows something about what happened to Kronos. See if you can't get anything out of him."

Percy frowned. "Even though he's been here for like three months now?"

Iapetus shrugged. "It's worth a shot."

Percy nodded. "Yeah. Sure, I'll ask him."

Iapetus nodded and clapped Percy on the shoulder. "Good."