Chapter 4 - When All Seems Most Dire

Annabeth immediately recognised the Titan facing her. He looked different and had found himself a set of silver armour, but it was definitely Iapetus. The Titan of the Underworld had his hands clenched around the shaft of his spear and seemed to be struggling to control his anger. The other Titan Annabeth didn't recognise at all, he was facing away from her, yet she could tell how relaxed he was.

The air was tense like they were in the middle of an argument, and the heavy feeling was definitely emanating from them. "I'm not Iapetus," Iapetus growled once he was slightly more controlled. "My name's Bob."

"Well then, Bob," the other Titan said mockingly, "what do you say? The gods will be brought down, with or without your help. Your help will only speed up the process once we march to war."

Bob ground the butt of his spear into the floor. "I have given you your answer already. Stop asking for a different one."

The Titan cocked his head to the side, "Are you sure? I don't want you to make the wrong decision, my friend."

"I'm not making the wrong decision. You are," Bob snarled.

An audible sigh echoed around. "Your choices are becoming rather one sided. I would hope you aren't becoming like them."

"It's better than being like you," Bob said bluntly, "keeping a certain demigod under watch in your-"

"Oh, Iapetus," the Titan said in fake sympathy, "are you still going on about Perseus? It's been two hundred and eighty seven years. Let it go."

"Let it go?" Bob growled, his silver eyes suddenly becoming filled with hate and anger directed straight at his fellow Titan. "You keep him for your own twisted idea of fun. To do what you please with him. What you're doing to him isn't showing your good virtue. You're only proving that you're a sadistic monster who deserves to stay down here for eternity."

The Titan seemed completely unfazed by the jibe, and only laughed. "The gods don't seem to care, so why should you? I have full right to-"

"Torture him?" Bod asked furiously, "No one has the right to do that."

"Ah, but I do," the Titan said coldly, "until he breaks. He's only making it harder on himself by refusing. When I see the sarcastic comments gone and his eyes dull, I'll be sure to tell you. Maybe you can visit him."

"Sick bastard," Bob growled.

In a flash the Titan had grabbed the front of Iapetus' armour and pulled him closer, over the altar. "You'll see things our way again," he promised. "Just you wait. When you do, I'll be awaiting your visit. Having you torture the son of Poseidon will break him. He does still believe you're going to come and save him. How do you think he'll feel when you do the complete opposite?"

Iapetus forced the other Titan to release him and glared furiously. "I'm not going to help you. Take your requests to someone who's willing to die for stupid wars."

The Titan chuckled, and Annabeth's blood ran cold. "You'll come back. They always do. When you do, I'll be waiting for your apology. This is strike two. Strike three will cost you your life, my friend."

"I'm not your friend," Bob said, "now leave. I have no more reason to speak with you."

"You can't tell me what to do," the other Titan growled.

"I can, for I have no affiliation with you. Now leave, before I decide to remind you why my name means the Piercer."

The other Titan inclined his head slightly. "Very well. Good night, my friend."