Chapter 44 - Oracle's Vision

She crouched by the lake, waving her hand across the surface of the water and watching the ripples spread across to the other side before bouncing back. A smile graced her face as she looked back at the lions lying in the shade around the clearing.

"It is clean," she announced happily. "Have your fill. You all deserve it."

The pride of lions padded over to the water as she stood up, brushing her hand over the lions as she moved to the edge of the clearing. She sat down in the dirt, uncaring of how dirty it would make her chiton as she stared up at the sky, thinking of her father.

"If you are praying to father, you may as well stop now. He is not going to answer."

She shot up to her feet, spinning around in surprise as someone stepped out of the treeline. "Who are you?" she demanded, her emerald green eyes narrowing.

He studied her curiously. "I could ask the same question. This is my section."

She frowned. "No one has this area. It is free."

He shook his head. "No. This is mine," he insisted.

"You still have not answered my first question," she said.

"Neither have you," he pointed out.

"I asked first," she said, her eyes narrowing at him.

He grinned. "I am the Lord of Thessaly."

"Thessaly is free," she repeated. "You are lying."

"No," he disagreed, "you are. This is my state," he insisted.

"This is a free state!" she exclaimed.

He took several steps into the clearing and shook his head. "No. It is mine."

"Liar," she accused. "Who are you to think you can take over this area?"

By the pool the lions were watching with amber eyes, none of them daring to move closer.

"Incredibly handsome, charming, and all around genius."

She glared at him. "One more sarcastic remark and I will order my lions to jump you."

"I would admittedly prefer it if you jumped me," he said, his grin widening. "But to answer your question: I am Kronos, youngest of Gaea and Ouranos."

"You..." she cleared her throat. "I am-"

"Rhea," Kronos interrupted, his golden eyes still shining with amusement, "I know who you are. How could I not? A beautiful being enters my state and I will notice. I suspect even Hyperion would notice, as dense as he is."

Rhea flushed slightly. "Why have I not heard I have another sibling?"

"Perhaps because you are constantly moving with your Pride," he said, moving to sit cross-legged by the edge of the lake. He patted the male lion beside him, the animal resting its head on his thigh.

Rhea hesitated slightly before sitting beside him. "What did you mean when you said father would not answer?"

"He never does," Kronos said simply. "I am merely speaking from experience."

"Mother says he is busy."

"And when I was born he said 'Excellent, another disgrace'. Then he ignores all of us."

"He is busy," Rhea insisted. "Mother would not lie to us."

He glanced over at her, cocking his head to the side slightly. "How are you able to believe that? You know her more than the rest of us."