Chapter 38 - Nicknames

Percy woke up slowly, opening his eyes and shutting them immediately again when the sun almost blinded him. He groaned as he opened his eyes completely, hating the sunlight. Percy frowned slightly, inwardly swearing that the bed wasn't usually as warm as it currently was.

Then his pillow moved up, then down again, and Percy froze. No... he couldn't have moved in the night. His pillow moved again, and Percy swore under his breath, turning his attention to his pillow. Or, to Kronos. In the night he'd somehow moved so he was lying across Kronos' chest, which meant that at some point Kronos had woken up and turned over, likely aggravating his injury. So when his pillow was moving, it was Kronos breathing.

Percy swallowed. If Kronos found out how Percy had been sleeping Percy would never hear the end of it. Percy started to move away, but Kronos' hand suddenly moved and stopped him.

"Don't," the Titan murmured, his voice still sleepy.

Percy cleared his throat. "Kronos, this is weird."

"I'm not the one that moved into that position in the night," the Titan said smugly.

"I'm pretty sure I didn't do it out of free will," Percy said.

"You'd be wrong. I was rather surprised to find you lying like that when I woke up."

"Yeah, well I don't feel comfortable here. So let go of me," Percy said, lying through his teeth – the Titan was surprisingly comfortable.

Kronos lazily opened one eye. "I'd rather not," he mused. "Last night was the first time I slept in a long time." He added, "You're not moving."

"Kronos, it's late," Percy sighed. "Everyone will be worrying about where we are."

"They will hardly worry," Kronos corrected.

"Pretty sure they'll be worrying about me. At least Iapetus will be, not sure about the others. Gaea will be pissed beyond belief."

"She's always angry," Kronos said, his hand still holding Percy in place. "Still planning on getting up?"

Percy groaned. "Go away."

"That's not the answer I was looking for," Kronos hummed, shutting his eye. Percy glared at him, despite Kronos not seeing him. "Glaring isn't going to help," Kronos said knowingly.

Percy muttered an unflattering comment under his breath. "Alright. Fine. Just let go of me."

Kronos did so and Percy hesitated before sighing and letting himself drop back down. Kronos winced slightly and Percy grinned. "Still hurts?"

"I've been impaled," Kronos sniffed.

Percy's grin widened. "Guessing that's a 'yes' then?"

"Do me a favor and shut up," Kronos said.

Percy shook his head. "If you're gonna force me to be here then I'm gonna piss you off as much as possible."

Kronos sighed. "Must you be so annoying?"

"Duh. I wouldn't be me without it," Percy laughed. "Like you wouldn't be you without your tendency to want to kill everything in your way."

Kronos' mouth twitched up slightly. "True," he conceded. "But you're still the most irritating demigod I've ever met."

"That's sort of my talent, if you haven't noticed." Percy couldn't admit that he was starting to get very comfortable where he was – it was too weird to think about. "So, Firefly, what're your plans for world domination?"

"Call me that again and I'll ensure you're never able to speak again."

Percy just smiled. "You should really think up better threats. I'm starting to get that you're all bark and no bite, Firefly."