Kassidy

Present day....

I moaned in pain as I came to. Fluttering my eyes open the blood stained sheets caused tears to fall from my eyes as I thought about what had taken place.

Romelo had obviously been snooping through my things and found the paperwork for my abortion. I knew I should have burned them but I wanted to follow the aftercare instructions flawlessly. The only way I could have done that was to keep the papers.

I tried to sit up and grunted in pain. This was something I had never felt before. Think of a thousand blades stabbing you in the abdomen as well as the vagina, and then you'd know exactly how I felt at the moment.

Everyone had warned me about Romelo. His own brother tried to save me. Yet, I was too busy trying to save him to listen to a word they had to say.

The world was already against Mel. I was the only person he truly had in his corner. Yes, he could get a little angry sometimes but I could always calm him down. He was possessive, but that showed how much he loved me right? I mean what else would it mean for a guy to wanna know your whereabouts and who you're around at all times? He was a protector.

No one understood him like I did. My own family had basically disowned me for moving out with him. Melo said if we're together he wanted us to fall asleep and wake up together, which is crazy cause his ass was hardly here. He claimed he was out stacking for our future, and I believed him.

This though, I cannot make any excuses for this. He just ripped open my insides and didn't even have the decency to clean me up. Here I am in bed with my pants still half down and dried blood all between my legs.

It's all my fault though.

I couldn't tell Romelo that I was pregnant but didn't know if the father was him or Dontae... no, I couldn't hurt him like that. So I did what I had to do. Part of me feels like I deserved this, but the other part is telling me to leave while I still can.

All I wanna do is call up my mom, but she too told me as long as I'm with Romelo being a fool, she has no words for me. My dad actually cried when I packed my things to leave. Not just silent tears either, hard down cried.

Romelo told me that they just didn't want me to love him. Everyone had written me off and he was all I had now. Even Keisha was acting funny, but that's what happens when you choose love.

Romelo was not perfect, but he was mine.

Now I'm second guessing my choices. Was everyone right? Did this monster of a man isolate me from real love, or does he love me so much he has to hurt me?

The first time Romelo hit me was when he saw me smile and wave at Dontae. How he saw that when we were on campus is beyond me, but he broke three of my fingers and said the next time he would cut my entire hand off if I waved at another man.

I should have left then, but he cried and told me how much he loved me and just gets afraid of losing me so he lashed out. He said he didn't mean it and things were good again until his ex Tiffany called his phone and he blacked my eye for answering.

Again... I tried to leave but he crawled right back with every reason why I should stay.

He had a rough childhood and I did things to provoke bad memories is what he said. But today showed me how much this man really didn't give a shit about me.

The least he could have done was dropped me off to a hospital. I could have some kind of infection or anything down there, but did he care? No!

Footsteps approaching the door caused me to tense up. I had no idea what Romelo would do next so I just pretended I was sleeping. It took everything in my not to jump at his touch once I felt him caressing my cheek.

"Look what you made me do Kassidy." Romelo whispered.

The nerve of him! Only a fucking sick person would do this to someone and turn around and say the person made them do it.

"You gotta stop being sneaky and disobedient. I love you too much to let you leave me... My baby Kas?! Why would you kill my baby?!" Romelo yelled out as if he wasn't just speaking to me calmly.

The crazy part about all of this is he had no idea I was actually awake. Lord please give me a way to get out of this alive, I'll leave him! I swear I will. Just don't let this man kill me. I prayed in my head. From the switch in his tone I knew to prepare for the worst.

Romelo always went from 0 to 100.

One minute he would be all lovey dovey with me, and in a split second he would be calling me everything except a child of God. The sad part is I had gotten used to this treatment as if it was normal.

My eyes damn near popped from their sockets once I felt Romelo's palm crash against my throat. The crazy bastard damn near crushed my windpipe and was now choking me. Tears fell from my eyes as I clawed at his hand.

"YOU STUPID BITCH! YOU WANNA KNOW WHAT MY BABY FELT! DO YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO LOOK INTO THE EYES OF DEATH?! ANSWER ME!" Romelo screamed with a deranged look in his eyes and spit flying from his mouth.

I'm not sure how he expected me to answer when he had me pent up by my fucking throat. I felt myself slipping away and to be honest, I welcomed death.