Keisha

Present day

Beep beep beep

The beeping sounds of breathing machines left me no other choice but to realize that this was my reality. The right to my wrong, my ace, my backbone, was lying in a hospital bed hanging on to life by a thread.

I couldn't stand to look at her beat beyond recognition. All I could think of was what could I have done to prevent this. She could have called me before it had gotten to this point! We all warned her, now look.

I wiped the tears that I didn't even realize were falling as I pulled my chair closer to Kassidy's hospital bed. I was almost afraid to touch her battered body as I placed her hand in mine.

"Dammit Kas!" I cried out. "Why?! Why didn't you leave? You had gotten away, why did you go back to him? You gotta pull through baby, I need you. I know I've been a bitch lately, but who else is gonna have my back like you did? Who's gonna tell me when I'm fucking up? You don't have to worry about Melo, the cops are looking for him. I pray they don't find his ass before Slim and Tae! You was always the forgiving one Kassidy. You breathed life back into his ass and he tried taking yours. I hate him and I hope he rots in hell for this!"

I kissed Kassidy's hand before placing it back on her bed. There was so much I wanted to say to her and so much I needed to apologize for, I'm just hoping I get the chance. God forbid, but if Kassidy doesn't make it... I can't even think like that.

"Good Morning."

I looked towards the door and noticed Kas's mom walking in. She was in sweats and her hair was pulled up in a ponytail. She was given a leave of absence after she collapsed at the sight of Kassidy being rolled in on a stretcher.

"Hey ma." I replied standing to give her a hug.

The bags under her eyes were a testimony to the countless amount of tears she must have cried by now.

"Any changes?" She asked looking over at Kas.

"No ma'am, not yet. I'm really scared ma. What if-"

"No! We will not think like that Keisha. All we can do is continue to lift her up in prayer and ask the good Lord for a miracle." Cassandra stated before tears fell from her eyes. "I'm not gonna bury my baby!"

I broke down crying with her. This was something that none of us were prepared for. Kassidy wasn't the type of girl to end up in this type of situation. Life had dealt her a shitty hand when it came to relationships, but to stay with someone abusive... I just didn't understand the logic behind that.

"You know they said she was pregnant? My baby was pregnant and I wasn't there to help or guide her. She had an abortion a couple of days ago. They found the papers stuffed up her- they found the papers stuffed up her vagina Keisha. That sick bastard almost killed my baby and still stripped her of her dignity. What kind of monster is he?!" Cassandra yelled.

Tears fell from my eyes. I had no idea. She didn't even tell me. I can't imagine what she had been dealing with in the house with that bastard.

"Its gonna be ok ma, Romelo will get what's coming to him." I spat angrily.

I didn't care what it took, if no one found him by tonight I was gonna go searching myself. Come hell or high water, he was gonna pay with his life.

Mentally I was done. I hadn't slept all night and I was starting to smell myself. I refused to leave Kassidy's side. I wanted to be the first face she saw when she opened her eyes.

Part of me blamed myself. I felt like I pushed her away. Feels like I could have done or said more. Maybe I had become too wrapped up in my own situation to notice that my best friend needed me. She could have called and I would have dropped everything. There was never a time she couldn't come to me.

Buzz Buzz

Slim😍: Whats new?

Me: No changes.

Slim😍: Shit fucked up man. Cnt even find this nigga and Tae flipping out. How are you?

Me: I'm... Idk, feels like I've lost my best friend. My heart is so heavy. I can't even explain this pain.

Slim😍: Kas ain't goin nowhere babe. Gotta be positive. I'll be there in a little bit. Hungry?

Me: Ok. No appetite, just hurry. She was pregnant baby. She had an abortion and that nigga had the papers stuffed up her cat! I want him to suffer so bad.

Slim😍: I'm omw.

I knew Slim didn't want me talking like that over the phone but fuck it, my emotions were running high. I would gladly do the time for killing Romelo. He had no idea of the damage he's done. Kas had a bright future! She was someone's daughter, my sister. You just don't do that shit to someone who helped you! Not only that, no one deserved to be done that way.

"Have you slept Keisha?" Cassandra asked interrupting my thoughts.

I sighed. "Sleep is the last thing on my mind ma. I can't even think about closing my eyes."

She nodded in agreement. She started to speak again before Kas's doctor stepped in the room.

"Dr. McGowan, what are we looking at?" Cassandra asked standing trying to look at the chart.

The doctor pulled back with a solemn expression.

"Can I have a word with you in the hall?" He asked.

He didn't wait for a response as he left the room followed by Cassandra. My attenenas immediately went up. I thought to ease drop until Kas's machine started going crazy.

Beeeeeeeeppppppppppp.........

Time stood still as my heart dropped to the floor. My feet wouldn't move as The doctor and a team of nurses ran in with a crash cart.

"Noooooooo! Kassidy noooooooo!" I screamed as they tried to remove me from the room.

Cassandra wasn't making it any better as she fought to stay by Kassidy's side. She had to be sedated.

I felt myself being lifted in the air and constrained. I started punching and kicking as Slim struggled to calm me down. Another doctor came to sedate me and that's all I remebered before everything went black.