Dontae

Flashback 6 months....

Practice had just ended and my body was sore as shit. Coach had us up early as hell running drills because one of my dumb ass teammates got arrested for fighting in a bar last night.

I wanted nothing more than to go home and soak in some Epsom salt, but I had an advisement appointment for next semester in 30 minutes. It made no sense for me to go home only to turn around and come right back. So here I was sitting under a tree with my headphones blasting in my ears.

My teammates always clowned me because I liked listening to RnB tracks more than rap. It was just soothing to me and I liked to vibe.

Jahiem's Put that woman first came on and my mind instantly wandered to Kassidy. It had been a couple of months since I last seen or spoken to her and no lie, I was sick. I couldn't even kick it with another chick seriously because all I would do was compare her to Kas.

I missed everything about her ass. The way she smiled and her dimples showed on her cheeks, the pouty face she did when she was upset, shit I even missed her nasty ass attitude she would get when things didn't go her way.

It amazes me how she captured my mind and my heart in such a short amount of time. Now she's the one that got away. What bothers me the most is I never got to plead my case.

A nigga was devastated when I found out she was fucking with Romelo's grimey ass. Especially since I knew he was only using her to get under my skin. He even convinced her to switch her classes to evenings so she wouldn't end up running into me.

It is what it is though. I can't force her to be with me and she made her choice. Looking at my watch I realized I had ten minutes left before my appointment. Standing up I wiped the grass from my sweats and headed towards the office.

I was so busy trying to find a song that I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking causing me to bump into someone.

"Damn, my bad." I stated picking up the papers that were scattered on the ground.

I stood and came face to face with Kassidy. My heartbeat quickened and a small sweat formed above my brows. I had so much I wanted to say to her but words failed me at the moment. She was still the prettiest girl in the world to me.

"It's fine." Kassidy said grabbing her papers from me before speed walking off.

I cursed myself for being dumb enough to let her walk away. I knew I needed to make it to my appointment but my feet wouldn't allow me to head in that direction.

"Fuck it!" I said before jogging up behind Kassidy. "Kas! Slow up for a second."

"I have to go Dontae!" Kas called out.

Hell nah, she wasn't getting away from me that easy. I had some shit to get off my chest.

Once I made it within arms reach of her I grabbed her elbow lightly causing her to snatch away from me.

I threw my hands up in surrender. "I just need a moment Kas. C'mon you can at least give me that much."

"Why?! I don't owe you shit Dontae! You're a liar who lied your way into my heart only to do what you said you wouldn't," Kas screamed out with tears forming in her eyes.

"Aite, I guess I deserved that. But at least hear me out and after I say what I have to say we go can our separate ways and I swear I'll never bother you again." I pleaded.

Kassidy smacked her lips. "You have 5 minutes. Start talking."

"Damn, can we at least go sit down somewhere first?"

"Nigga this ain't a social call! Say what you gotta say so I can go, I have things to do. Now you're down to three minutes." She said tapping her foot.

Typical Kassidy, her way or no way. I was in no position to argue so I stepped over to a bench and took a seat. I waited for Kas to join me and had to chuckle when she crossed her arms and just stood there.

I gave up on trying to get her to sit down and just started talking.

"Aite look, I know shit seems fucked up and I probably look like the sorriest nigga in the world to-"

"Hmph!" Kassidy cut me off.

"I get it, trust me. But if you had let me explain you would have known that Shaniece wasn't really my baby mother... I mean she is, but by default. It's not my story to tell but just know that he was conceived with another nigga and I stepped up to the plate. I don't love him any different and that's my son regardless, but you let a bitch get in your ear about me and took her word when it wasn't at all what it was cracked up to be."

I watched as Kassidy's face dropped. I know she had to feel real silly right now and the last thing I wanted to do was rub it in her face. I gave her time to process what I said.

Her phone vibrated in her pocket as soon as she was about to part her lips to speak. Pulling out her phone she silenced it before looking at me with sad eyes.

"I... I have to go Dontae. I really can't deal with this right now." Kassidy stammered preparing to leave.

I grabbed her arm once again, this time she didn't jerk away.

"So that's it, you're just gonna run off without saying anything?" I asked.

"Dontae I'm s-"

Her phone vibrated again and I snatched it from her hand and silenced it without even looking at the screen. I had an idea who it was and I knew if I confirmed my suspicion I would spazz the fuck out.

"Give me back my phone Dontae!" Kassidy pouted.

"Not until you tell me something. I can't let you walk away from me again and not know where your head is at." I shrugged.

"Look, I really have to go. I'm sure my ride is waiting for me. I'll call you." She said impatiently.

I smacked my lips and twisted them to the side. I wasn't about to fall for that shit.

"Why you gotta call me when I'm right here, right now Kassidy?"

Her phone started vibrating again.

"Dontae please? I promise ok. I'll call you but I really need to go." She pouted.

I handed her the phone and walked behind her until we reached the parking lot. When I noticed Romelo's car my blood started to boil instantly. I had something for his ass though.

"Don't forget Kas!" I yelled out.

She simply waved goodbye before hopping in the car with that bitch ass nigga. At least I got to speak my peace. The ball is in her court now.