Chapter 6.

You.

"Are you sure you don't wanna come with me?" My mother asks, holding onto her Gucci bag.

"Yeah." I reply. "You can go. I won't burn the house down like last time."

"Yeah, let's hope not." She says as she playfully glares at me. "I'll be back in about two hours. If I'm not, order take out and if I am... just don't burn the house down."

I laugh. "Bye Ma."

"Bye sweetie." She kisses the top of my head.

She then leaves and I wait until the door closes and I hear it lock, before closing myself in a cocoon of blankets because a) I'm single and I don't see that changing anytime soon. b) Its really cold. And c) I'm really tired and work has been on my ass for the past couple of days so a week off is basically heaven.

And this position is basically heaven, until I hear my phone beep.

Usually, I would ignore it, but maybe it's important.

So I reach out of my very warm, very comfortable cocoon and grab my phone.

I unlock it, doing the pattern and then realize that its a text. Well a few texts. There are just some I don't open from irrelevant people. But one in particular catches my eye.

Dinah Jane (09:25) : Y/N.

I smirk before typing a message back.

Me (10:02) : Dinah Jane.

I wait for a few seconds, hoping she'll text back quickly but give up after a minute and wrap myself back up in my blanket and as soon as I get comfortable...

I sigh and unlock my phone to read the text.

Dinah Jane (10:04) : What are you up to? Are you at work?

Me (10:05) : Actually not today. I'm just chilling. Why? Do you need help to paint again?

After pressing send, I realize how forward I must have sounded, but luckily her response makes me feel better.

Dinah Jane (10:06) : I wish. 😣. I fell ill 😥 and my mother wont let me out of the house.

My heart swells at the sound of Dinah being sick. She'd probably be so cute...

Me (10:07) : Aw. You have a cold?

Dinah Jane (10:08) : Uh huh. My mom was supposed to go out and get medication for me. But I guess she forgot bc she left really early this morning and she's still not back. 😧 I feel like dogshit.

I don't respond and immediately jump out of bed, ignoring the lack of warmth and run to the bathroom to the medicine cupboard.

I get out a bottle of antibiotics and just for safety sake, a tube of ointment.

I then get myself a jacket and grab my car keys.

I then remember about my mother and pull out my phone to shoot her a text.

Me (10:10) : Hey ☺. Something came up and I may not be home when you get here.

I then attach my phone to the aux cord, press shuffle and smile when I hear With You. Views has to be one of my favourite 2016 albums.

I then drive to Dinah's house, with Drake all in my head.

When I reach her door, I take a deep breath before knocking.

I wait a few moments until the door opens, revealing Dinah, wrapped up in a blanket, sporting a messy bun.

"Hey." I breathe.

"So that's why you weren't answering?" She asks, allowing me in. "Do you know how mad I was?"

"Are you still mad?" I ask, a hopeful tone in my voice.

"No." She smiles and I can hear her nose is clogged. "I got this for you." I hand her the bottle. "You take two, three times a day. And you take them consistently if you wanna get better."

"Thanks." She gives me a grateful smile. "I would hug you but..."

I shake my head and pull her into my arms. "God, you're so hot." I mumble, feeling the warmth of her skin.

"What?" She asks as I pull away.

"I meant warm." I chuckle nervously. "Not that you're not  hot." I add.

She just shakes her head in response before biting her lip. "Hey Y/N?"

"Yeah?"

"Will you come be my big spoon?" She asks in a child like voice that has me tripping. "I mean you don't have to." She adds, probably noticing me not replying immediately.

"No." I reply, removing my jacket and hanging it on one of the provided hooks. "Id love to be your big spoon."

She giggles a bit before nodding and leading the way to her bedroom.

"Sorry its a bit messy." She apologizes, referring to the amount of tissues on the floor.

"It's fine." I brush it off and she gets on the bed, waiting for me to follow.

I remove my shoes and follow suite, falling in behind her.

At first, I'm hesitant to move myself and touch her, but I sigh in content when she pulls one of my arms and places it on her stomach.

She visibly relaxes. "Y/N?" She mumbles, her voice cracking.

"Yeah." I reply, moving closer.

"Thanks for coming." She replies. "Leilani never would have done this."

"Stop comparing me to Leilani." I giggle. "Shes lazy."

"So are you." She argues.

"I'm not lazy... I'm just slow to do something." I try to justify my answer but end up failing. But it makes her laugh, so... so what?

"Yeah well I appreciate you not being lazy this time." She replies. "Can I take a nap? Youre really comfy."

"Yeah." I reply, stifling a yawn. "Go ahead."

She nods and before I know it, she turns and rests her head on my chest, securing an arm around my stomach.

I tense up but relax when I realize she's alseep.

She's quite cute when she's alseep. Her mouth slightly open and her light snores...

Okay, I may not be straight. But I'm definitely not gay.

I may have a teensy weensy crush on Dinah Jane.

I absentmindedly brush her blonde locks out of her face and place a kiss on her forehead.

She mumbles something inaudible and then goes back to sleep and I know I'm soon to follow.

She may not be mine... but for this moment , I can pretend she is.