Chapter 30.

You.

"So that's how it is?" I chuckle as I see Melissa scarfing down her food at a record pace.

"I ordered for you." She says swallowing. "I hope you don't mind."

"As long as you know what I like." I shrug and sit down, opening the box to reveal ribs. "Okay you do know what I like." I laugh and get myself settled to start eating too.

I am quite hungry.

"So, I heard your mother was out of town?" She asks, dabbing at her mouth with a napkin.

"Yeah." I nod, digging in. "I think she said that she will be back tomorrow."

"Oh." Melissa nods. "Pity. I was starting to like your job."

"Yeah well I was starting to like her job too." I joke and she smiles.

It's quite nice to see her smile.

"So... how's life?" She asks as she leans back to take a sip of her water bottle.

"You're such a cheapskate." I shake my head. "You had to sneak in your own water?"

"Listen." She defends herself. "I'm living on an interns income and I'm bribing you."

"You wouldn't have to bribe me if you didn't run off." I shrug and bite into the meat.

"Yeah well you didnt have to tell me that you weren't gay when you really were." She retorts, screwing the cap back on the bottle. "I'm sorry." She apologizes quickly.

I wave her off. "I hope we can put that behind us though."

"We can." She shrugs. "But the thing is, I cant Y/N."

"And why is that?" I ask, thanking her as she hands me a bottle from her stash of water.

"Because." She says. "I'm still a bit mad about the fact that you are going out with Dinah and you didn't tell me."

"We weren't friends and I don't share information with irrelevant people." I shrug.

"So now I'm irrelevant?" She asks.

"Dont start a fight. Jesus you're hot and then cold. Decide on an emotion." I tell her. "And you were irrelevant. If I'm not mistaken you were the one who called off the friendship."

"And you were the one who made me fall for you." She retorts.

"I didn't do it on purpose." I tell her. "I can't help that I'm hot."

"Sure cant." She agrees. "But I really felt that before you started dating her you could have given me a heads up like 'hey, I'm dating a girl after I told you I'm straight' kind of thing."

"But we weren't dating." I start to grow frustrated.

"Yeah but do you know how much it hurt to see you all hugged up with her at the club? Or to sit through every time you have a smile on my face I know it's from her? Or when I have to sit and pretend to be happy for my friend when I've fallen so hard for her?" She asks, pouring her heart out.

"Look Melissa." I sigh. "You and I will always have a special bond but I don't see a relationship happening. Can't you get that?"

"I can." She mumbles. "But do you love her?"

"Huh?"

"I asked you if you love her Y/N." She repeats. "Just tell me so I can leave this fantasy of you and I being together alone."

"I do." I say respectfully. "But I also think that our friendship will never be the same."

I then get up and scratch around my pocket to throw a bill on the table. I wasn't going to pay because she had offered, but I couldn't break her heart and let her be stuck with the bill.