1.

It all pretty much started in 8th grade.

Bella and I had met the year before, since then we became best friends. We would tell each other everything from our family problems to the guys we have a thing for. We're pretty much inseparable.

One day, in 8th grade, Bella invited me to her house.

Bella sticks her key in the door and opens it. Her house is very modern. There are a bunch of family pictures all over.

Just as we're about to go upstairs to her room, a boy that looks to be 15 or 16 with a wild curly afro comes out of the kitchen with an agitated demeanor. I can tell it's her older brother Jacob. From what she's told me he has problems with abuse.

"What's this Bella?" I'll admit, he is not ugly at all. "This is my best friend Jamiah. Jamiah this is my brother Jacob." She say unenthusiastically.

"I need to talk to you. Alone." He looks at Bella with a blank face.

"You can go upstairs to my room. It's the first door on the right." With that I walk up the stairs following her directions.

As soon as I close the door I hear screaming. I try not to eavesdrop but it's impossible with how loud they are.

"What the fuck did I tell you about bringing people here?" Jacob starts.

"I asked mom yesterday and she said it was ok."

"Mom is not here and when she's not here you go by my rules!"

"You don't tell me what to do! You're not my dad!" There's a loud slap sound right after she says that. I hear footsteps stomp past the door and another door slams down the hall.

After about five minutes Bella walks in. Her eyes are red and puffy, sure enough her cheek is glowing red.

She then smiles at me and sits on her bed. "Sorry about that. So what do you want to do? I have a bunch of movies."

"Are you ok Bella?" I ask seriously. "How much did you hear?"

"Pretty much all of it." She looks down at her feet and doesn't say anything. "Did he hit you again?" I continue.

As soon as I see a single tear fall down her face, I instantly pull her in for a hug.

After about five minutes of her hysterically crying on my shoulder, we decide to go to my house instead.

After that day we had a bond and trust for each other that couldn't be broken. With me and Jacob... I get really uncomfortable around him to this day and I hate him for what he does to Bella.

But nothing lasts forever...