Best Friend's Brother - Closing

//Jamiah//

"Remember class. Art should come from within yourselves. It should reflect multiple emotions. It should make you feel and make others feel. We'll be analyzing some pieces by various artist for the remainder of the semester starting today." The professor for my art history class spoke as he projected a piece on the overhead.

I was now in my second year of college in Georgia State, which was a long way from California but I needed my distance from that place after I graduated. It was around the middle of the second semester so I'd be having midterms soon. I was stressed but not too stressed since I'm in the art program and art was a passion for me since I was a kid.

"What can you all tell me about this piece? What are the emotions?"

The portrait was of a girl sitting on the grass in a clear meadow. She was naked but her long chestnut colored hair covered her cleavage. In her hand was a rose that was dull and dried out. The thorns seemed to be picking into her skin so blood covered her fingers and palm. Her chest was ripped open so that you could see the of the lake behind her. Her skin was pale and lifeless and her eyes were dull, but her lips held a perfect smile.

"What about you Miss Watkins?" The professor turns his head to me.

"Well I personally think that the portrait is showing the aftermath of love. The rose in her hand represents love, seeing as it's all dried out and dead, maybe the love someone had for her died out but she's still holding on but it's hurting her, as shown by the blood on her hand from the thorns. And maybe her entire appearance is being affected by her pain because she looks almost dead. The tear in her chest could represent how when you're hurt by love, it leaves a scar that will never go away and she will never be the same. But she's smiling while sitting in a beautiful meadow lane so she probably has to fake her happiness because life goes on and she had to match the happiness around her."

"Very impressive Jamiah." He nodded in agreement with my statement. "That's all the time we have for today.  Remember those reports are due next time we meet." I packed my stuff up and so did the rest of the class.

One of the friends I made since I started school here met me at the door. His name was Chiron and was a track star here.

"Look at you bring all poetic and shit." Only because I know how that shit feels.

"I guess that's just how I see the world."

"Shut yo Shakespeare headass up. Where arth thou Romeo headass." He laughed and slightly punched my arm.

"Don't be jealous." I smirked at him as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"Look I know today was supposed to be our chill day but I got a track meet up at Albany so I'm leaving tonight with the team."

"It's alright Chiron. I need to study anyway." I wasn't upset or anything. I understood that as a student athlete his sports would often interfere with things.

"You sure? I'm still up for pizza right now."

"It's cool and we can still get pizza. "

We approached the corner and he opened the door to the pizza parlour for me. It was our favorite place to go together because they gave oversized slices for cheap prices.

I chose a booth for us to sit at. "I'll get out usual." Chiron said before getting in line.

I unlocked my phone and went on Instagram. I stopped scrolling when i saw a specific post from theshaderoom.

'Looks like author #JacobPerez just crossed the 10 million mark for copy sales of his latest novel titled 'Watkins Rd.''

I immediately exited out of Instagram and locked my phone. To distract myself I played with the salt shakers until Chiron returned with our food.