2.

3 years later

The hallways of high school are crowded as always. Couples are lined up against the lockers, sucking each other's faces. Loud music is blasted by the wannabe thugs that are crowded up in a corner, not planning to go to class at all. The so called 'cool girls' strut down the hallway giving everyone dirty looks, as if they're better than everyone here. And then there are normal people, like me and Bella.

We make it to our class, barley on time before the late bell rings. We take our seats and Mr. Brown, our pre calculus teacher, starts his lesson.

"Today you'll work in pairs to fill out the entire unit circle. Convert all 360 degrees into radians. This will be due at the end of class." He passes out worksheets and we get started.

"So guess who texted me yesterday." Bella says while we do our work.

"Hmm lemme guess. It's it a boy?" She nods. "An ex? Oh my god is it Jamie?! That fuck boy.." I say quietly so I'm not heard.

"No it wasn't Jamie. I blocked him... it was Ryan!" She practically squeals. Ryan has been her crush since freshman year. He's also the pretty boy of the school. Last year she got with Jamie but he ended up cheating on her.

"Seriously? What did he say? How did he get your number?" I bombard her with questions.

"Well yesterday we talked during lunch and we exchanged numbers. Then this happened." She hands me her phone.

Ryan: hey beautiful

Bella: hi /.\

Ryan: I'm going ice skating this weekend and I would like some company. Wanna join?

Bella: it's this your way of asking me on a date??

Ryan: definitely ;)

Bella: then yes I'd love to go with you :)

Ryan: dress warm haha. Well goodnight beautiful and I'll see you at school tomorrow??

Bella: fasho

"Well damn, looks like he's got the hots for you." I nudge her and she blushes.

"Well it's just a date now. Nothing happened yet."

"But wait, who goes ice skating in the middle of September?" I just thought of that.

"His dad owns a rink in midtown." I nod and reach for the calculator.

"So what about you. When are you gonna find you a boo thang?" She wiggles her eyebrows at me.

"Highly unlikely." I roll my eyes. I've never even had a boyfriend before. I find myself to be ugly but I don't tell anyone that. They might think I'm looking for attention or compliments.

"Don't speak too soon." Bella winked at me.

-

I walked into my house after a long stressful day at school. My first move is to the kitchen to find a snack. I find a bag of trail mix and take it to the living room.

My mom is sitting at the table with her reading glasses as she looks at whatever work she's doing. "Hey sweetie. How was school?"

"It was ok. Nothing new happened." I take a seat next to her and pour some trail mix into my mouth.

"I just got a call from my job saying I'll be going on a business trip tomorrow."

"How long will you be gone?" I ask. "About six months, eight at the most. The company is in a big mess right now and they need all the help they can get."

"Are you serious mom! Six months?"

"I know, I don't like it either but we need the money. Since this is the first time you'll be alone, I talked to Bella's mom and she's ok with you staying with them until I return."

It's true, this is the first time she'd leave me alone. She used to always go on business trips when we still had my dad. But she stopped going ever since he died in a car crash on his way back from a business trip a year ago. She's been struggling many ways including financially. It's been me and her ever since.

"It won't be forever Jamiah. I promise." She rubs my shoulder. "But what if something happens to you, like with dad?" I can't help the tears that spill.

"I promise you. I'll come back ok?" She pulls me into a comforting hug. We stay this way for what seems like ten minutes.