Chapter 7

Once we got into the house my mother and I immediately went into the kitchen, she started warming up the food which I don’t remember her preparing, she must have done it when I was at school. I started taking out plates and glasses. But she stopped me and said that I should go get freshened up because they’ll be here any second. So I headed towards my room prepping myself for a shower, once I got in I started thinking that this dinner might be the chance to break the awkwardness we have with each other. I mean it’s ridiculous, but totally reasonable. I got out of the warm relaxing shower and began preparing myself, I honestly don’t know what to wear do I wear a dress? Do I wear jogging pants hinting that I don’t care? I honestly can’t believe that I’m in this situation I just feel as though that I should have the decency to impress both Louis and his parents even though I kind of did, I mean they are the ones who wanted this for us. Ugh! Just choose something!   I settled for a teal chiffon shirt and some black skinny jeans. As I was brushing my hair I heard noises down stairs, they must be here already. So because of that I took extra time brushing my hair, not because I want to look pretty, no, because I honestly don’t want to go down there. So much for ending the awkwardness, Ugh why am I so afraid? It’s not like he’s a pop star or anything he’s just a regular guy, well regular in some ways. After my pathetic pep talk I made my way downstairs to the kitchen.

I immediately saw Aunt Jay talking to my mother she was helping preparing the food. My Dad and Uncle Mark talking while drinking some beer, and then I looked at my left and saw Louis looking like a complete loner, he’s sitting on the couch just twiddling his phone around. And I know for a fact that me coming to talk to him isn’t going to save him from his complete boredom, why doesn’t he go on twitter or something? Instead of just sitting there like a loser. I walked up to him, he looked up and smiled, I couldn’t tell if it was genuine or he was doing it just to be polite.

“Hey” I said. I was standing in the middle of the living room; I was debating whether I sit beside him or across from him. I settled for across.

“Hey” He nodded back. Then complete silence, ugh not again. But honestly what can we do, we just saw each other like what 45 minutes ago? So what are supposed to say to each other when we kind of said everything? This has become more complicated and confusing than it should be. I looked outside where the patio is, it was really nice out there it was still sunny outside and it’s only like 6 pm. And I honestly feel like this silence is suffocating me.

“Do you want to out to the patio?” I suggested to him. He nodded and got up; we both walked outside and sat on the bench. I suddenly felt awkward sitting so close to him.

“Nice patio” He complimented.

“Thanks my dad built it, he’s obsessed with patios for some odd reason, I honestly think it’s because he likes building things, but my mum didn’t make it any better she started thinking of designs that would look good, I swear all they needed was some camera crews and they were the next hosts for those home improvement shows.” He chuckled; well at least we’re making some progress.

“I know how you feel, you won’t believe it but my mum and dad love to cook, sure you get to eat amazing food and cool new meals, but I realized how big of a problem it was when I couldn’t find cups to drink water with, I looked into every cupboard, nothing. I was quite perplexed and worried when I found out that there were more mixers and blenders then cups.” I laughed.

“So what do you do when you want to drink water?”

“Well I bought my own cup and some reusable water bottles. Lottie just buys 24 pack water bottles so that she, Fizzie and the twins can come drink water” He replied.

“And what about your parents what do they do?”

“Oh my dad and mum just use the fine glasses, we are not allowed to touch them because they’re scared that we would break them, I mean I think that’s when you begin to realize how weird your family really is, I mean name one family other than mine who can’t find their drinking cups” We both were laughing, tearing up a little.