Chapter 23/95: Sleepy Trap

First update! Merry Christmas❣️
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

'Wear the simplest business working attire you have.' ─Rickard Ellington Conway's head echoed through my mind, as I skimmed through my clothes.

'You have to attract the least amount of attention possible.'

I frowned, holy, what's with this weird event?!

I simply applied some red lipstick and mascara, as I waited for my master to arrive and sweep me off to the event.

I eyed my very simple attire, and frowned. What the heck, was a soft pink chemise and a simple pencil black skirt suitable for such an annual event?

It was in no time that Mr. Ellington's limousine arrived, and I bid Katy a fast farewell, as I headed out towards the car.

As I got inside, Mr. Leonard was first to smile at me with his beautiful white teeth. "My, my. Miss Kitten you're going to one hell of an event tonight!" He winked at me.

I smiled nervously, and sat beside him, "Well, it's for secretaries, right?" I chuckled.

From the seat before us, Rickard Ellington Conway was shooting silent and cold daggers at us through his frosty eyes.

I eyed him back with clear defiance.

His eyes stormed, and I chose to divert my gaze away.

Mr. Leonard's gaze then caught my attention back.

"Well, let me give you some hints, Miss Charlotte." I turned towards him, and he met my curious case.

"First of all," He gestured in explanation, and his expression became serious, "You are to keep your mask through the whole event."

He eyed a small box some seats away.

"Your mask is there, and you'll put it before we come in. Remember, the whole thing is about keeping your identity a secret until the end of the event." He murmured, seriously.

I blinked, "The terms said something about Mr. T-Tavolecci choosing the secr─"He cut me off.

"Yes, but allow me to clarify, my dear." He neared his head a bit, his eyes burying into mine with intensity, "All presidents and chairmen are participants in the event, but few are those unfortunate enough as to have their secretaries as gambling prizes."

I gasped, "G-Gambling prizes?"

"Five secretaries will be chosen at random by the founder, Tavolecci, and they will be pursued through the whole night until their masks are taken off. The president which succeeds at taking the secret secretary's mask off is a winner and becomes a partner in a legendary brand new project." He clarified.

I nodded, silently, allowing the idea to sink in.

"As for the presidents whose secretaries are chosen as random ones, they become under two risks: They have to keep their secretaries secret until the end ─which is unlikely, but nevertheless worth trying, because if she's exposed, that means they will suffer destructive losses. And secondly, they have to try and get another secret secretary exposed so they could win." Leonard Beards' voice sent shivers through my spine, and I fidgeted.

"This is too weird." I furrowed my eyebrows, "I still do not get the main goal of such an event."

"That is because you are still ignorant of the façades and covers used to hide the dirtiness of the business world."