Chapter 57/129: Inside the Palace

Read & Enjoy!
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

From the chilly winter wind outside, the warm breaths of the air conditioner greeted us like a blessing to the skin.

Everything looked opulent from the gleaming wood floors covered in loving throw rugs to the sheer curtains billowing like mist on the wall of floor to ceiling windows that faced a slope and then a night's dimness. Nothing else. The furnishings were victorian but had a story to tell, so they had to be antiques with what looked like hand-carved workmanship. Each area of the room melted into the beauty of the next, with some delicate settees next to more heavy bookcases and unlit fireplaces that mated with the walls which appeared to be actually used.

One either sides of the foyer, twin branches of a great, curving staircase swept upwards to the next two floors, and a great domed skylight bathed the area in mellow moonlight from high  above.

I tipped my head back, gazing at the domed glass ceiling three stories above. 

I licked my lips, and the Adam before me stiffened slightly, looking around and then heading to the nearest seat where a controller actually was placed.

He held the controller, and directed it towards the air conditioner, producing some kind of beep or such.

His eyebrows were slightly furrowed, his expression mirroring arrogance. "This should be emitting cold waves," he muttered, putting the controller down.

I sighed softly. I forgot he was not bothered by chilliness, no?

I looked around, and my eyes fell on the bookshelves.

Heading there, I eyed his remarkable collection.

Wow man.

He didn't comment, but kept silent, as he approached slightly, and laid his back against the shelf, as he folded his arms before his chest.

I could feel his pure intense gaze in my direction, roaming over my entirety with pure deepness and some weird... emotion?

I looked up towards him, wetting my lips softly, naïvely, his eyes darkened at that.

My orbs observed him after that, boldly.

I could clearly see his after-fight state.

I had actually forgotten he'd even been in a fight because he didn't seem much fazed.

His necktie was a bit undone, and he had his suit jacket on again, but it was not buttoned. His wristwatch was back in its place.

Looking towards his face again, only the slight scratch gave him off. Other than so, even his hair was in perfect place.

I neared him a step, standing before him as he laid back coolly.

His eyes had never left me, they burned with millions of words and yet he was too proud to show he even gave a damn.

His jaw moved slightly, as he took my whole entity in.

I recalled at that that my hair was messy, and my make-up was slightly ruined after the encounter.

We made no contact, and I swallowed, softly.

"Do you bring your women here, n-normally?" I whispered, softly, without much thought.

Only when my words were out of my mouth did I realize what I actually had blabbered.

He didn't even blink, didn't hesitate twice, "No."