Ch. 6) Bed Time

Whenever he comes into my room he doesn't let in any light anymore. And I don't ask.

It doesn't change the intensity of it. It doesn't change the pleasure.

But blocks out the intimacy.

I've spent the past month in the library and sometimes Jerias would come and we'd talk for hours. He was easy to talk to, even though he was slow to properly open up. Even now with weeks given by I could tell he was still in the beginning stages of letting me truly into his life. But I also think he doesn't have a choice, I'm his blood bag honestly, and I talk, I have consciousness, I have a mind, a personality. I need to be simulated at the least, obviously he's going to have to keep me entertained. And he was a good at that much so far. Going beyond just the pleasure of getting to see his perfectly handsome face; and I meant that from his voice and he careful gaze, to the low calmness in his laughter. The first time he laughed it caught me by surprise. A full blown laugh that only occurred because he found humor in my favorite genre of books. Apparently romantic novels are a hilarious thing for a girl like me to like.

"It's only that you just seem to not be bothered by the romanticism of life," he told me justifying why he found humor in the first place, "You're... I don't know? A bit reserved I could say," His smile was intriguingly bright. And his laughter like soft bells ringing in my ears.

"I'm reserved?!" I responded shocked, "You of all people is gonna stand there and call me reserved? Wow, right. Definitely." I only smiled. Not really caring that he found it funny but more so mesmerized by the enchantment of his genuine smile.

I remember this thinking about how if only he really knew how bothered I really was. If only he knew how bothered he made me.

Eventually he told me about his father, something I eased him into when I started talking about my mom and asked him about his parents. He was hesitant at first, and in a very obvious manner. But he moved on close to me suddenly and leaned again the table I sat at. Without really meeting my gaze he started talking about the man he admired. How he had lived to strive to be just like him most of his life, even still today. His fathers name was Markys Ermanno and he was seen as a kind, gentle, and smart man. A reasonable leader that always made the right decisions, and yet the one time he made the wrong decision it cost him his life. As a complete shocker, Jerias hit me with the sad story of his father's passing and how it all came to be. His father was put to death due to being romantically involved with a human, his Amaranthine at the time. Not only going against the laws but betraying his mother. His life partner. His mated one.

The whole time though, Jerias had never spoken of his mother. And I only assumed she must've been enraged. Heartbroken. I didn't push for him to speak on her, grateful enough that he had to the courage to tell me so much about his dad and about what happened.

I also never said anything else about the two of us becoming deeper involved with each other afterward. His reason for it not to happen clearly stemmed from his father's attachment with a human and the eventual lead to his demise.

"You're an attractive woman Ines," he said to me one day while we were at the bookcases. He was helping me look for another novel. A silly task I'd entrusted him with just for an excuse for us to hang out.

"You could go out you know? Make friends, meet people... A guy." He looked at me and I knew immediately what he was getting at. How easy it would be to ignore everything and whatever it was I might be feeling, or he might be feeling, if I had someone else to focus on.

"That can perhaps appreciate you." He adds.

"I don't want to," I mumbled holding back my amusement to his comment, "I've never been to good with guys. They barely look my way."