Ch. 13) One Week

I look down at the box in my hand, the image of a phone pictured upon it.

"Jerias," I hold the box back out to him, "No."

"You don't like it? You'd rather I bought you another?" He asked.

"I'd rather you not buy me one at all." I stare at him wide eyed, "Why would you buy me a phone? I said I'd find a job so eventually I'd get my own."

"It was your birthday," Jerias looks genuinely confused at my reaction.

I breath in and out relaxing my stance, "Jerias. Thank you so much for this. Really. It means a lot. But you bought a phone. A. Phone."

"It's just a phone."

"It's an iPhone! The new one!"

"Yes. Arie suggested that I get you that one." Jerias moves away still not taking the box, "She told me you needed one and so I got you one. I am not taking the gift back Ines. Accept it. Don't accept it, toss it even, do as you please."

I look to Arie, who gave me a sheepish look and shrugged, "It's just a phone girl. Relax. And you know you need one so just take it."

I had a phone. Before this idiot took my whole life away from me.

"Fine. Thank you. I'll pay you back." I mumble to him.

Jerias arches a brow at me, "And I won't accept that either Ines."

Groaning I take a seat next to Arie and stuff my hand into her bag of chips, "If you wanted to celebrate my birthday so bad you could've just bought me a notebook. I like writing. Remember? Besides you're kind of too late. It was on the tenth."

Jerias sighs and look at me for a long time then crosses his arm, "I'm aware I'm late. Please, find it in your heart to forgive me with this gift I so graciously bought you. Surely you could try being grateful yes? I hear that always works."

"I am grateful!" I say through mouthful of food. I take a moment to swallow and chew, "But this is expensive stuff Jerias."

"If it's money you're worried about then you're wasting your time."

Quickly I open my mouth to respond but Jerias cuts me off before I can even begin, "I have work, so I'm not arguing with you," swiftly he lifts him self up as Ronan makes his way down the stairs.

"Are you ready Jer?" Ronan ask a black case in each hand. Handing one over to Jerias he looks down at his watch, "We need to be there rather soon, and it's a thirty minute drive Jerias."

Jerias and Ronan were supposed to be heading out on a week long business trip.

"You're leaving now?" My heart clenches.

"Finally," Arie mumbles under her breath.

"I'm sorry?" Ronan makes his way to her and he bends over leaning close to her face, "I didn't quite catch that."

"I said I'm so sad you're leaving Ronan," Arie voice is bland of emotions but her eyes twinkle with humor as she stares at Ronan, "Come back soon to me, or I will perish with loneliness."

"Yes," Ronan nods sharing the same look in his eyes although he seemed to be slightly more seductive, "I thought that was what I had heard you say."

Arie burst into a fit of laughter. Ronan doesn't laugh but he smiles wide and I swear I saw him eye her lips for a moment before pulling away.

"Isnt five days a long time to go without-" I pause looking up at the ceiling, "well, us?"

"It is," Ronan shrugs.