Ch. 24) Lies and Truths Amidst Mirrors

A/N: More. More! More!! lol I hear y'all trust me. Here ya go sus's and bro's (if there are any guy readers lol) feast and feed your minds my friends.

.

.
.

.
.

.
.

.

.

Little fools in love. No. I was the only fool.
Upon my arrival to the dinner table, people chatted amongst themselves gleefully. And the topics were light at first, topics of summer events, work. How people lives were going. Children. Kids became a strange one. A Nosferatu, bald one with dark brown skin smiles as he spoke of his Amaranthine wanting a child with another Amaranthine she'd been a relationship with. It was common for Amaranthine's to end up with each other, since their options were so limited after all. But no where near as common as Amaranthine's and Nosferatus to be bonded with each other.

"It's sad don't you think," he says, yet smile still plastered there on his face.

"Of course it is," An older man I knew to be in the council says. He was one of the elderlies Arie had told me that were still on animal blood. The ones that hated Amaranthine's. "They can't even have kids right?"

"Amongst other Amaranthines yes but Nosferatus and Amaranthines can't." A female Nosferatu says.

"Don't they send the babies into human adoption systems when they have them?" The bald men questions.

"Yes," the elderly raises a brow, "We can't allow them to be raised within our society without any use. Are you an idiot? Everyone knows this-"

"Why?" I ask boldly but the elderly one glances at me unsurprisingly before answering my question smoothly.

"They're just far too young for far too long to become Amaranthines." He scuffs then adds, "I don't even know why that practice still exists, Jerias, pass me the wine bottle."

I watch Jerias grab the bottle and lean across the table to pass it over to the elderly man two seats down from my right side.

"What do you think Jerias?" He ask while pouring his drink, "You think we still need that rubbish around."

"It's a necessity," Jerias simply says.

"Of course it is. I'd be crazed without Melissa," bald man speaks of his Amaranthine.

"Necessity? That's garbage? I'm older than all you here at the table. Me, Nikolai and Bromahn. Yet here we are, surviving perfectly fine on animal blood. You're all succumbing to these humans. Giving them senseless powers over us with out even noticing it. Before you know it, they'll be marriages amidst the two species!"

Another older Nosferatu laughs, a man also from the council, "Like that man on trial the other day. He swore his love for his Amarathine. Disgusting really. His death serve justice no doubt... am I right Jerias?"

Jerias who looked like he couldn't care less actually shrugs at the man, "Your beliefs and opinions Nikolai," he crosses his arm over the table and I stare down at my plate which I'd been poking and playing at this whole time. I wasn't too hungry. But I was dizzy, and I wasn't sure if it was more from the conversation or from all my drinking.

"What's that mean?" Nikolai's brows raise, "Ah, why of course, you've an Amarathine after all. Truly she fills your needs greatly. Both blood wise and sexually I mean."