~C h a p t e r 26~

When you wake up in the morning, you lay in your bed for another several minutes, and you embrace the fact that you are a lazy shit. That would be me, every morning. Sleeping in felt amazing, and considering it was Saturday, I didn't have work, and it was my birthday, made this day pretty damn good already. 

I pulled my phone out from under my pillow, smiling at the happy birthday texts I received. I opened the one Harry sent me and smiled while reading it. He was calling me later today to properly wish me a happy birthday.

Rolling out of bed with a smile on my face, I decided to start my day anyway and hopped in the shower. Nick took off today and is bringing me a surprise coffee and my present, to which I told him not to get me. Presents just weren't my thing, because I felt like I needed to return the favor. 

My shower was hot, and it relieved my muscles in my body, making me feel relaxed. When I exited the steaming bathroom my phone was ringing, so I quickly retrieved it, sliding my finger across the screen to answer. 

"Hey birthday girl, I'm on my way to your house with your birthday coffee," Nick said as his greeting. 

"Yay!" I chuckled, clicking the speaker button to change into clothes. He laughed on the other line, and I heard an engine cut off. He's already here?! "I'm here and coming in so..."

"Walk slowly because I'm still changing!" I shouted while hurriedly pulling up my leggings. He chuckled and ended the call right as I pulled my oversized sweater over my head. Running a hand over my damp hair, I walked downstairs to meet Nick who was standing in my kitchen, setting the coffees down on the table. 

"Happy birthday!" Nick exclaimed, swallowing me in a hug. I giggled into his chest and happily hugged him back. 

"Thanks Nick," I replied, pulling back to grab my mystery coffee. "Now which one did you get me.." I took a sniff, carefully taking a sip. I closed my eyes and savored the warm taste. "Carmel Raspberry cappuccino, my favorite." Nick grinned like a Cheshire cat, obviously happy I enjoyed his gift. 

"So what are your plans for today?" He asked, making himself comfy on the living room couch. I walked over to the kitchen counter and noticed a note from my mom saying she'll be home for my birthday dinner. 

"Nothing really. Harry told me he would call me when he gets the chance for a surprise. I really don't know what he means by that..."

Nick frowned in confusion. "How can you give someone a surprise over the phone...?" 

"Good question," I muttered, flopping down next to him. "In the meantime, let's watch movies."

*** 

After watching An Officer And A Gentleman (my choice, not Nick's), I wiped the tears from my eyes and jumped from the couch. "Okay I wasn't planning on crying this hard on my birthday..." Nick laughed and rolled his eyes, making himself more comfy on the couch. 

"Seriously, I'm a guy and that was sad..." Before I could reply, my phone started ringing on the coffee table, and I instantly picked it up and smiled wide at the caller ID. 

"Hi Harry!" I greeted, putting it on speaker. 

Suddenly, 5 other voices were heard on the other line, singing Happy Birthday in perfect harmonization. Thanks to my stupid movie choice, more tears formed in my tear ducts and I wiped furiously at my eyes to stop the tears from falling. 

"We love you Halie!" the boys finished off their song, and I started giggling in between a small sob. 

"How did you like my little surprise babe?" Harry asked through the phone, and I didn't really want to reply due to my ugly state. 

"I'm afraid she can't answer right now," Nick replied for me, and I shoved him playfully. 

"I loved it Harry," I replied, wiping my eyes and grinning from ear to ear. 

"I'm sorry I can't be there on your birthday..." He sighed, and I could just picture him running his hand through his perfect curls. 

"Harry how many times do I have to say this, you're doing your job. It's okay! We only have 9 days left! So keep your pants on and be patient." 

"I guess I'll have to make it up to you when I get home then, and then I can't take my pants off." 

"Haha Harry, you're so funny..." I muttered, blushing at his stupid perverted joke.

"What if I was totally serious..." 

"Then I'd say you have to be patient until you get home." All this banter made my stomach ache with butterflies, because I know exactly what Harry is hinting at. 

"Damn it..." He muttered, making me giggle. "So what have you been doing on your birthday!" 

"Actually I just balled my eyes out..."

"What...Halie tell me what happened, why did you-" 

"Harry chill," I chuckled, shaking my head. "I just watched the saddest movie with Nick and I was crying, don't worry."

"Fuck I wish I was there to wipe your tears..."

"Harry stop making me sad..." I muttered, rolling my eyes, even though he was right. 

"I hate how Nick is there instead of me," He whispered, and I was quite surprised at his words. I guiltily glanced at Nick, and he just shrugged. 

"Sorry Harry, I'll leave, see you later Halie." Tears formed in the back of my eyes. 

"No Nick, you're not leaving." He stopped at the door, his face holding a conflicted expression. "Thanks Harry, now he's leaving. I know you want to be there for me all the time but Nick is my best friend and he's there when you're not. Don't go hating on him just because-"

"I can't help the fact that I'm not there with you though! You know for damn sure I'd fly across the world to you in a heartbeat." 

"I know you would Harry, but that's not the point. You instantly hate Nick just because he's a guy and here when you're not. If he was a girl you wouldn't have a problem, and don't go denying that." He stayed silent. I rolled my eyes and scoffed. "That's what I thought. It really feels great to fight with your boyfriend on your birthday. I talk to you later Harry..." I mumbled, hanging up before he could say anything, but I really felt like bursting into tears for lots of reasons.

It was kind of awkward once I hung up, and Nick wouldn't meet my eyes. 

"Hey," I spoke softly, taking his big hands in my small ones. "Harry's being an ass. I don't know why he said that, but don't worry about it. I'm glad that you're always here for me. You're like, my only friend. If you weren't here I'd be going crazy in my bedroom or something." He cracked a grin and swallowed me up in a hug. 

"I love you Halie," He muttered in my hair, and I grinned. 

"I'm so glad I have you Nick..." I replied. "Thanks for always being there for me."

He chuckled, pulling away and squeezing my upper arms softly. "Where else would I be silly?" I pulled him in a hug again, shoving Harry Styles in the back of my mind for now.

__________________________________

Sorry guys, short update today! I'll make the next one longer and better! I fucked up my finger yesterday and it's I have it in a stupid brace...I can't tell you how difficult it is to type with it...

thanks to all who wished me a happy birthday! 

I LOVE YOU GUYS A LOT OKAY