Chapter 3

Asher

I wanted to keep her closer to me. I didn’t want to let her go. I know she got hurt when she saw Alison there right in front of her but i couldn’t do anything about it. How do i explain to her that my feelings for her haven’t changed that being away from her for so long has actually heightened my feelings for her? But the truth is that i can’t explain. I need her to move on and the only way she’ll be able to do that is if she knows that i won’t be coming back to her this time. If i told her about any of my feelings right now then i know her, she’s stupid enough to waste her whole life just waiting for me.

“Baby sit down will ya’” Ali said looking up at me.

She moved over and i sat down. As soon as i looked up, the first thing i eyed was Zoya. She was the only person in my view. She looked so beautiful yet so simple. I knew her, and i knew she hated waiting and i could see that by the way she was folding her arms and then touching her face, and she had just tucked some more hair behind her right ear and began looking down at her shoes. Then all of a sudden she looked up and widened her eyes, i also looked up to what she was looking at. And then i saw him, Jai. Standing there staring at her and vice versa. Zoya glanced at him questionably and he just shrugged and they continued to smile at eachother. A kind of fire boiled inside me at the thought of Jai and Zoya having something between them. I never really could handle the fact of Zoya being with somebody else other than me.  Just then, Alison hooked her arm with mine and laid her head onto my shoulder. It didn’t feel as good as it did with Zoya. Her touch wasn’t remarkably as special as Zoya’s touch was, i couldn’t help but compare. It wasn’t me but it was my heart telling me that this was Alison not Zoya. I couldn’t break Alison’s heart i just couldn’t. She would break. Like i haven’t broken Zoya enough...

Jeanette Woods, Mason’s older sister went up to give her speech. It went on for about 3 minutes and then she cleared her throat which woke me up.

“As much as i am upset about my baby brother’s death, i am proud that my brother has so many people here who love him and care for him as much as i did. But there a handful of people who i want to thank from the bottom of my heart who also have just helped too much already, and as i call out these names i would like to have them all come up here. Katherine Malik. Aria Nelson. Rose Sommers. Jai Chambers. Zoya Khan. Shilvia Dockland. Asher Chambers and Sara Bullock. Could you all please make your way up to the front there are 3 favourite flowers of Masons which were picked by him and cupped in his room and you will be handed a white rose to lay on Masons coffin.”

Kat had a confused look on her face for some reason and she and Aria walked on stage together and were both given a white rose to lie down on the coffin. Next walked up Sarah, Rose and Shilvia, they also did their part. I saw Jai walk up to Zoya who was still seated and he gave her a hand to walk up with him. She took his hand and walked up to the front but she walked straight to the microphone and hugged Jeanette and then took the mike from her.

“Umm Asher? Could you please come up here with us?” She said looking around the auditorium. I couldn’t help it so i got up and with that, all of us 3 had our last looks at Mason. I closed my eyes for a moment and thought to myself and smiled that he was in a better place now.

“We’ll miss you buddy.” Zoya said and we all walked back to our seats.

The final speeches were said and his body was taken to the limo. Half of the crowd in the hall were going to go back to her homes, dorms and the other half were going to go to his burial. The crowd altogether moved towards the exit and outside to where the media was piled up. I was the last person in line to go out. I casually turned around to take one last look at the stage decorations when i saw Zoya, alone. Cleaning up and packing things away. I told Alison to go down to the burial with Sarah and Shilvia and that i would join her soon. I needed to talk to Zoya. The last of the audience moved out and no one was inside the hall. It was a very big and narrow hall and i wanted to spend just a little time with her. When i started making my way up to the stage, Jai came in front of my way and stopped me.