Chapter 4

Zoya

What had i just seen?

Did i really witness that with my own eyes! Another body, another death, another friend. I was shaking so hard and so frightened of what i had just seen that the noise coming from the rest of the crowd trying to make their way hadn’t stopped me from the shock. Rose was trying her best to keep everyone quiet and out of the scene. Whereas Kat was still holding me in an embrace. I wonder what these guys would react to after finding out what had actually happened. The police came and everyone was told to go back to their dorms rooms. We did exactly as we were told. It was soo cold and my head felt so heavy. I couldn’t walk properly so i had to use both Rose and Kat as support. I was shivering from the fright and the cold and on top of that stupid Aria decides to annoy the crap out of me asking me about what it was that i saw, a numerous amount of times. After she had asked for about the 20th time, Kat had gotten extremely pissed off and she yelled at Aria asking her to shut the something up.

I sat on Aria’s bed with the other three sitting opposite to me on Kats bed staring at me waiting desperately for an answer. Aria was hopelessly shaking for an answer from me and then Rose told me to take my time and answer when i was ready, i had already seen the tears in Rose’s eyes. I took a deep breath in and told them what had happened.

Just after i was finished, the loud speakers rang out.  “Attention to all students, there is an emergency school meeting called in the auditorium right now, there is no need for you to change into formal clothing just quickly and quietly get down to the school hall please.”

We all reached the hall and waited for the speech by one of the trusties.

“After the death of Mason Woods, we are all going through a very hard phase in life, and on that note i am very heartbroken to say this but we have encountered another death... in sorrow i pull up the courage to say that Adrian Mccurdy died earlier this night. We are getting down to the bottom of how this happened but-“

Suddenly the lights and heater in the auditorium had gone off! It was so dark there was nothing to see and just as the heater went off the room immediately became much much colder. Everybody took their cell phones out and astonishingly 3 seconds later, every single one of those cell phones had their batteries dead!

Somebody with an unknown voice was standing on the stage platform as i made out  the outline of the figure. They said; “could these people please make their way outside,” spoke the robotic voice. “Asher, Zoya, Kat and Rose.”

With confusion we all made our way out. As i walked out i heard voices saying things like “is this a joke?” “What have they got to do with any of this?” “What if they know something about the death?” I was taking my time and walking out because i was scared and cold, i slightly turned around to look back at the stage a bit and then somebody’s hands grabbed around my waist and pushed me forward, their face was on my shoulder hovering me towards the door. It was none other than Jai. “Go.” He spoke. And i began to walk faster. My heart was beating so hard i was afraid that Jai was able to hear it pounding.

Seconds later his hands were removed from my waist and i found myself outside with Kat and Rose. It was so dark i could barely see my own feet. The campus lights were even turned off and recognising each other’s faces was becoming great difficulty. We decided to hook arms. Then the voice in the speakers rang aloud. “Could these people please go down to the resource room immediately?”

We made our way down to the resource room and finally the bright lights were turned on. Mrs Paten the lady in the office behind the glass window wasn’t even there. We were the only three people there. Then suddenly Dominic came running through the door.

“Whoa Whoa Whoa, slow your horses, and where's that asshole Asher?” said Kat

Dominic slowed down but there was pure tension written all over his face.

I put my hand on his shoulder and asked him again but more slowly and calmly.

Dominic began shuddering because he was so scared, he eyes looked noticeably terrified as he was about to start crying. So we gave him some time to calm down but he didn’t take too long, eventually he spoke.

“He- he said he’s gonna kill me if-“

He began shaking again. My heart started pounding again at what he said. “Who”, was the only thing that came out of my mouth. When he looked at me blankly i clutched his shoulders and asked him one more time. He said nothing, but turned to his side still locking his eyes with mine and pointed back towards the front glass door which was wide open. We followed his finger as it went up pointing outside. It was so dark i couldn’t see anything but an old caravan which was always parked on the other side of front campus. But even though it was so dark i could make out a figure of a guy, punching and kicking really very hard at the caravan. And then he suddenly gripped hard onto his stomach and faced the ground as would anybody else who was vomiting.

“Asher!” i shouted out.

Seeing him in pain and agony always made me weak at the knees, without thinking i started forward but then Kat and Rose grabbed both my arms and held me back. I still kept shouting out Asher's name and knew i was really too weak to fight the grip of both Rose and Kat. With teary eyes i looked over at Kat, because i knew she was also at her weakest point whenever she saw tears in my eyes.

“Please.” Was the only thing i spoke calmly whilst looking into her eyes.

And then i turned around to look at Rose. “I love him Rose.” Rose had already loosened her grip and i felt Kat also loosen hers.

I ran out knowing that both my friends weren’t far behind me but they were keeping their distance so Asher wouldn’t see them.

I ran really fast and the soles of my feet were tapping hard against the grouchy pavement. As i came into a little contact with him i slowed down and walked a bit calmly over.

“Hey-A-Asher.”

I trembled starting off.

“Get away from me! Now!” his voice was much deeper than usual, it was anger. Anger tempting on his veins. The tip of his nose. Something was wrong. Very wrong.

I still took the risk and hovered around him.

“It’s alright, calm down please. Look at me. Breathe.”

He looked at me such fiercely i was sure he had the courage to hurt me, but my heart told me he wouldn’t. He stepped up to me with such might; i was startled on the spot but didn’t move. I didn’t realise it but i was already crying out.

Something unexpected happened then, he fell to the ground on his knees bending forward towards me. He was crying and shaken. Seeing that, i fell to the ground with him and put my arms around him, holding him close. He hugged me back and i held him close to my breasts giving him space to talk.

“Zoya –Zoya” he stammered out.

“Shhh.” i ordered him and held him even tighter.

My body was so warm compared to his face so cold. ‘I love you.’ I said to him and a tear rolled down my cheek onto his nose. He looked up, looking less scared. We were about to kiss just an inch apart... and then i pulled back. I couldn’t. We weren’t together. He was alright now. I just couldn’t. I left him there and got up. I turned around away from him and i realised that neither Kat nor Rose had followed me. It was too dark it was much deeper into the night now. The only light was coming from the resource room which seemed a mile away.

With a million thoughts in my head i began to walk, away from him slowly. I heard him call out my name but it just faded somewhere in the background. I didn’t turn around and he didn’t chase me.