Distance

Once again you're moving your belongings into boxes and carrying them over to Dan's room.

Today however, is not a good one. It's now the 20th December you need to go to Lancaster, your grandfather needs to see you.

He is not a safe person to be around, his wife left him due to his bad temper so you are the only one left to see him. He's the only biological family member you have, he wanted to see Dan but he then decided against seeing anymore people. He just wanted to see you.

"please can I come, hide me in a suitcase!" Dan begged.

"I can't, he'll probably have a heart attack!" You laugh.

"Fine, I'll look after Phil. Come here."

You walk over and place a hand on his fore arm, you both lean in and kiss gently. He pulls you into a warm, protective hug.

The taxi parks outside the apartment block and beeps its horn impatiently.

"I need to go, love you Dan!"

He kisses you again before walking you to the lift.

As the door closes you lose sight of Dan and feel a stab of loneliness in your chest. You're doing this.

You instantly recognise the driver.

"Hi! How are you? It's been so long!" He beamed.

"Well, we're actually getting married."

"NO!" He claps, "I've got a boyfriend!" He sings.

"REALLY! TELL ME EVERYTHING!" You cry enthusiastically.

The gaps are filled with stories, awkward encounters and milestones.

"He just makes me happy." He gushed, "what happened with you and Dan?"

You retell the whole events from Hawaii to Paris to December tenth to Elise.

"No fucking way!" He says in shock.

"I'm Y/N by the way!" You laugh.

"Oh my god, I can't believe I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Edward, I'm a taxi driver, I'm in a relationship with Mark and I'm a Sagittarius." He laughed.

"I'm Y/N, I'm a YouTuber, I'm engaged to Dan and I'm a (your star sign)." You laugh.

By the time he pulls over you've laughed, cried, hugged, highfived and exchanged numbers.

You promise to call and hug him goodbye.

The door seems greyer, duller, older, sadder.

It creaks with every slight breeze, you knock three times slowly.

There's a shuffle behind the door.

Your hands are clammy, you're shaking.

He opens the door, "Y/N, come in." He mumbles.

You smile and close the door.

"So why did you want me to come over?" You ask clenching your fists onside your pockets.

"Oh nothing much, just that my boiler is really messed up." He smiled innocently.

"You know you can just call a plumber right?"

"Would you mind doing that for me, I'll get us a cupper." He shuffled away again.

After calling the plumber you call Dan.

"I don't recognise this man at all." You say quietly.

"Wait what? Y/N, please try to leave I can't let anything happen to you. It seemed shady but I thought you knew him."

"I didn't know many people on my mums side of the family, but he I know is not in my family. He got her name wrong, it's supposedly her farther. He's only 54 too, this is wrong. Hold on he's coming back, I'll put you on speaker." You finish.

He puts down the tea and looks you up and down.

"you've grown up haven't you, how old are you?"

"Umm, 22... Why?" You stammer.

"No reason, just curious. Do you want to stay over, I've got a spare room. Or if you fancy being a bit warmer my doors always open!" He smiles creepily.

"You know actually something came up, I've called the plumber, I need to go."

"Wait... I..." He began.

You run past and jog through the estate. You eventually reach a park.

Y/N: Can you pick me up, I'm at the park near 'his' house.

Edward: Sure give me two minutes.

He picked you up, told you it's free of charge, and drove away.

You explained the situation.

"Now I know why he didn't want Dan to come. I won't leave Dan's side from now on..."