Chapter 2

[ELIZABETH'S P.O.V]

  I was busy getting ready when someone knocked on my door.

'Come in', I said and Grandma came in. I smiled at her and she took a minute to look at .

'I never believed your Mama when she said that you were all grown up', she said and I laughed softly. 'I'm still your lil Rose, Grandma', I said as I put on my earring.

'You listen to me Rose. No matter what happens, I want you to enjoy life before you become like me', she said and took my hand. I looked at her with a questioning look.

'Grandma, I'm gonna be fine. I wont end up like Mama if that's what you're pointin' at', I said and she smirked.

'I heard that', interrupted a voice and I looked up to find Mama looking at us with a disappointed look.

'Get ready fast, they'll be here any minute', she said and left the room.

I looked at Grandma who rolled her eyes and I giggled.

'So, Elizabeth. How's college?', asked Mrs. Fredrick.

'Good. It closed today for the summer', I said and took a sip from my wine glass.

I sat across from her and Adrian her son, sat next to me.

Adrian was a law student and he was a year older than me. We knew each other since high school. He was devilishly handsome (according to Britney) but I never really thought much about him.

Huh.

Must be the reason why I'm still single.

'Adrian is going to London this month for an apprenticeship', said Mr. Fredrick.

'Oh. But I thought you were still a student', I said looking at him.

'I am but I thought a bit of summer experience could brighten me up a bit', he said and I nodded.

I poked around my pasta unsure of what to do or say anymore.

'I think that it's just lovely that we've come up with this arrangement!', exclaimed Mama.

What arrangement?

I looked up.

'They look perfect together!', exclaimed Mrs Fredrick.

'Who looked perfect together?
I gave my Mama a questioning look.

'Well, I guess we'll just tell you. You both are getting engaged!', exclaimed Mama and I choked on my pasta.

'Oh look! She's excited already! Don't worry Elizabeth! The engagement is tomorrow night and the wedding will be at the end of this month!', exclaimed Mrs Fredrick.

I swear that if I wasn't civil, I would have thrown my knife at her.

'Isn't this a bit soon?',I squeaked.

'Nonsense! Your'e age is ripe for marriage!', exclaimed Mama.

Ripe? What was I?
A freakin fruit?!!

I looked at Adrian hoping to find my same reaction but he looked completely calm.
As if, he was okay with this.

'You're okay with this?', I asked him.
He nodded, 'We've been friends since high school and so we know each other', he said casually.

KNOW EACH OTHER?!!!
I didn't have a single clue about him!

'Excuse me', I said and got up from my seat.
'You're not excused', said Mama sharply and I sat down.