Sorry Is Just a Word.

“Justin? Justin?” I looked at him concentrated on the road in front of him. “Justin!” I yelled.

“Huh, what?” he said obvious that I scared him.

I shook my head. “What is going on with you, it’s like you’re avoiding me.

“I’m not, there’s just a lot on my mind.” He said pulling into my driveway.

“Oh.” I said quietly.

He stopped the car in front of Usher’s house.

“Um, you want to come in and watch a movie or something?” I asked with a smile.

“Ah, I don’t think that will be a good idea, I mean usher said we should stay on the down low.” He said shrugging, acting like he has no interest in me. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t hurt.

“Oh, um ok then.” I said trying to get out of the car; once I got out I tripped and fell onto the pavement.

“Shit.” I heard him say and get out of the car.

“Ow.” I groaned looking down at my now scraped knee.

Justin came next to me helping me up.

“Come on.” He said picking me up bridal style.

He carried me in the house and to the bathroom. He set me down on the counter. He grabbed the first aid kit and started wiping up the blood trickling down my leg from my scuffed up knee.

I sucked in some air really fast making a whistling noise at the pain of the rubbing alcohol on the scrape.

“Sorry.” Justin said looking up at me and into my eyes. I could have sworn I saw guilt flash through his eyes.

“Justin, are you ok?”

“What yeah I’m fine.” He said cleaning up the counter and putting a band aid over the cut.

“Cause you can tell me you know.”

“There’s nothing wrong.” He snapped making me flinch. Pain flashed through my eyes, memories flooded back from my dad. A tear escaped from my eye. I quickly whipped it away but he still noticed.

“Shit, sorry. I’m just on edge.” He said wrapping his hands around my waist and kissed my forehead.

“Tell me what happened because I know that the whole thing with TJ didn’t affect you that much, and you wouldn’t take it out on me.” I said pulling away from him.

He sighed and walked out of the bathroom.

I took a deep and carefully hopped down from the counter and into my room. Justin was sitting on the bed with his head in his hands.

I limped to the bed and sat down next to him.

“You know you can’t keep walking away from me, I’m still crippled.” I said looking at him; he kept his head in his hands. “You can tell me anything.” I said turning to face him.

He put his head up and looked at me. “I can’t tell you.”

“Why?”

“Cause it would hurt you too much and me.” he said shaking his head.

I looked at him in the eyes. I couldn’t help it; I just leaned in and kissed him.

It took him a while but he kissed back. Our lips moved perfectly together. He put his hands around my waist and pulled me onto his lap. I was now straddling him.  He bit my lip asking for entrance, which I granted.

He slowly laid me down on the bed, crawling on top of me but not breaking the kiss.

He slowly made his hands way under my shirt.

Red flag.

I slowly pushed him off me, breaking the kiss.

He pushed himself off of me as well. He sighed and moved to the other side of the bed. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to go that far.”

I gave him a confused look at his sudden movement away from me.

“Do you not like me anymore?” I asked looking down at my chip painted nails.

Justin looked up at me, stunned. “What? No of course I still like you. You are the best thing that has happened to me in a while.”

I just looked at him, it wasn’t very believable. He noticed and moved closer to me, he grabbed my hand.

“Before I met you 4 weeks ago, things weren’t making sense in my world, the enjoyment of everything was fading, but when you came around you made me realize that people would kill for what I have. You make me humble. No girl has ever done that before. You make me feel whole.” He said looking into my eyes not breaking the contact the whole time.

I looked at him, then leaned in and hugged him.

It was silent for a bit, we were just holding each other.

He pulled away from me.

“I have to tell you something.” He said not making eye contact. This made my heart drop, and start racing.

“What?” I said quietly.

“Um.” He said getting up from the bed and walking around. I turned to face him. I waited for him to speak again.

He stopped pacing and looked at me.

“I did something, well almost did something.” He said looking at me. My heart started racing.

“The other night, Abbie showed up at my house. I accused her of being involved in the thing with TJ, because she asked me about how you doing. She was at the hospital. So it made sense that she was in on the situation.”

I took a deep breath, I didn’t like where this was going.

“Umm, she then told me she was at the hospital cause her mom has cancer.” My mouth dropped open a little. “So I offered her a ride home, she declined first but I insisted.”

I nodded my head. He was just being the kind person he was.

“When I dropped her off, umm, for some reason I was tempted to kiss, her, I didn’t but I tried. She stopped me before I could.” He said leaving me shocked. I thought this was going to end with he just gave her a ride home and he felt bad for not telling me.

Anger rose inside me.

“What?” I said loudly. I shook my head.

“Nicole, I’m really sorry I didn’t mean for that to happen I just, I don’t know, it was just in the heat of the moment.” He said coming over to me.

“I can’t believe you!” I yelled.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean for any of this to happen.” He came closer and sat next to me. “I really like you, I really really really like you, and everything I just said about you was 100% true.”

It was quiet for a minute. “Sorry is just a word.” I said standing up and sitting in the bean bag chair.

He looked at me with guilt. I saw tears form in his eyes. My jaw dropped a little.

“It’s obvious that you still have feelings for her Justin, and you need to figure out which feelings are stronger.” I said looking down. “But for right now I need some space. I can’t keep getting hurt Justin, I can’t take it. Come back when you’re ready to be a boyfriend.” I said and walked, well limped into the bathroom closing the door behind me. I took a deep breath before leaned on the door behind me and slowly falling down it, sitting on the ground. I started to break down.

Why, why me? 

.

.

.

Follow me on instagram @daniellefolk7 and twitter @ButterCupSeven