Chapter 3: We Need To Talk

Back at the hospital, Isabella was sitting on the couch. She finished the book but decided not to start the new one. So she was watching a cooking show on TV with Callie when Jeremy came in.

Isabella stood up.
"Can I see him?" She asked.

"We need to talk" Jeremy said.

She could see her brother had been crying and it had been a little over an hour since he left to see what was going on.
"Is he alright?" She asked as her eyes teared up. She was so scared of the answer to that question.

"They took him to his room" Jeremy said. "Come here. Sit down." He said leading her to the couch. He sat down and Bella sat next to him.

Callie stayed up in front of them.

"I need to tell you something that's been going on but I need you to understand that we didn't tell you before to protect you, okay?" He said. "Dad didn't want to scare you so he made us promise we wouldn't tell you anything, alright?" Jeremy said and Bella looked very concerned.

"What is it Jeremy?" She asked fighting her tears.

"3 years ago dad wasn't feeling very good so he got a check up and they found a tumor. He fought it and beat it but it came back last year. And he fought it all over again and he won but a couple of months ago it came back again and he just couldn't win this time" Jeremy said. Tears were rolling down his face. Isabella knew what that meant. She knew it was cancer. She knew her dad was going to die.

"3 years?" She asked suddenly realizing. She couldn't believe it. How could they have lied to her for 3 years.

"I'm so sorry Bella. We all wanted to tell you but he made us promise not to. He didn't want you to be afraid of losing him all the time. He wanted you to be happy and enjoy life with him."

"What do you mean we all?" She asked. She looked mad and scared at the same time.

"Some of the doctors here knows and your mom too" Jeremy said.

"How long does he have?" She asked serious but Jeremy couldn't answer that.
The look on his little 8 year-old sister was killing him.
"How long Jeremy?" She asked again more firm this time.

"Not long" he said absolutely broken.

She got up and tried to run but Callie got her before she made through the door.
"Let me go! I wanna see him. Let me go" Bella screamed while all the tears she was holding started to fall.

"You will. It's okay. Calm down." Callie tried calming her down but it didn't work.

Jeremy went and grabbed her. She started fighting more to be let go.
"Get away from me." She screamed.

Jeremy picked her up and she gave up and just cried. It took about 20 minutes for her to fully calm down.

Marley, Jeremy's girlfriend, and Shepherd were there now together with Callie, who was sitting next to Jeremy who had Bella on his lap.

"I wanna see him" Isabella said. She was so scared. She wanted her daddy. She just wanted to go home with her dad and all of that to go away.

"I can take her" Shepherd said and Jeremy nodded.
Shepherd got close to them and picked her up. She's small for her age and very skinny so it was easy to carry her around.

"It's going to be okay" Shepherd said.

"No it's not" Isabella said and hugged him tighter.

Shepherd went out of the room with Bella on his arms. He was followed by Jeremy, Marley and Callie.
They got to John's room and Shepherd put Bella down.
She was scared so she held his hand, as if she wanted him to go in with her.