Chapter 10: Hard Times

When they got to the bottom of the stairs Sofia spotted Bella and ran to her.
"Hi soso" Bella said picking Sofia up.

Callie could also see Isabella's face was a bit swollen from crying. She looked over at Emily and gave her a sad smiled.
"How's everyone?" She asked.

"Okay" Penelope said.

"Mommy I'm hungry" Sofia said still on Bella's arms.

"Do you want some cereal?" Bella asked.

"Yeah" Sofia said. Callie didn't give Sofia breakfast because she knew Bella wasn't eating well and she thought her daughter having breakfast with Bella could help.
But she was wrong.

Everyone was sitting at the kitchen island while Emily and Callie grabbed the things.

"Which one do you want?" Emily asked Bella, holding up Lucky Charms and Frosted Flakes.

"I'm not hungry. I just want some juice" Bella said. Emily gave her an understanding smile.

"Just a little bit?" Emily asked and Bella shook her head no.

"Keep Sofia company, honey" Callie said.

"I'm pretty sure she doesn't mind" Isabella said. "I'm not hungry." She said serious.

"Alright. But you are eating lunch later today. Okay?" Emily said.

"Sure" Isabella said grabbing her glass of orange juice.

There was not much talking at breakfast. They just talked a little about Sofia's funny way of eating cereal and that was it. When Bella was done with her juice she said she was going to take a shower and went upstairs. That gave the older women some time to talk.

"What happened last night?" Callie asked.

"Why are you asking that?" Penelope asked surprised at how she just knew something was up.

"Bella is wearing long sleeves and pants, she looks like there was a tsunami on her face and Emily didn't even push it harder for her to eat. So what happened?" Callie said.

"She woke up and just broke down" Emily said.

"Oh no" Callie said.

"She kept saying she wanted to sleep and that she was tired and she wanted John and she was so scared I was going to leave her too" Emily said.
She didn't really like talking about it but Callie was like a second mom to Bella. She was always there when the kid needed and she deserved to know.
"She just sobbed you know" Emily said.

Callie was feeling so bad for Bella. She knew that kid was tough and to learn that she sobbed broke her heart.

"Did she sleep after that?" Callie asked.

"Impressively she did" Emily said. "Almost all night. She just woke up once but was asleep again really quick"

"That's good" Callie said with a sad smile.

"She was just so tired." Penelope said.

"I just hope she has a better night tonight" JJ said.

"Yeah" Emily gave JJ a sad smile with hopeful eyes.

"She'll be okay." Callie said.

They were interrupted by the buzzer. It was Shepherd, Isabella's godfather. He went up and the women welcomed him in.

"Where's Bella?" That was the first thing Shepherd asked.

"She went to take a shower" Callie said.

"And how is she?" He asked giving Emily a hug.