Chapter 24: Monday Came Too Soon

Emily was heading to the kitchen when she heard Bella coming in. Bella placed the plate on the counter and poured herself some water.
"Cake? Where did you get cake?" Emily asked curious.
"There was a birthday party there" Isabella said.
"And they invented you in?" Emily asked.
"Yeah. A lady came and asked me to join them. Of course I said no but I guess she felt bad cause I was there sitting by myself reading so she kept insisting. She said it was her daughter's birthday and all and she asked how old I was. When I told her she said she had a 9 year-old daughter too and she was inside doing nothing so maybe I could hang out with her for a while and then I said sure"
"Who's this lady?" Emily asked concern.
"She lives in the floor below us. 206"
"And...?" Emily said requesting more information.
"Her name is Hilary. She's a single mom and she has two daughters. Millie who will be 5 tomorrow and Chloe who is my age. Well she just turned 9" Isabella said.
"So you just went in?" Emily asked. "Didn't I tell you to be safe?" She asked serious.
"Yes. And I was" Isabella said confused.
"Bella, you can't just go out alone and start talking to strangers everywhere" Emily said.
"Mom I'm new here. The place was full of people and how am I supposed to make friends if I don't talk to strangers" Isabella pointed.
"Oh you" Emily said walking to Bella and hugging her. "Just be careful"
"I know, mom" Bella said with a sweet smile.
"And how was it?" Emily asked smiling. She knew Bella had a point but it was just her FBI brain taking over her mom brain.
"It was quite good actually. They were all really nice and Chloe sort of likes the same stuff I do and everything." Bella smiled getting two forks.
"So I see you made a new friend" Emily smiled proudly.
"I guess so" Bella smiled handing over a fork to Emily. "You should eat this is really good. And it's a Barbie cake too" she smiled.
Emily smiled and sat, grabbed the fork and tried a piece.
"I can feel the pink" Emily said making Bella laugh.
"Believe me it was everywhere" Bella said laughing.

They finished the cake and then went to watch some tv. They talked a bit more about the party and Emily couldn't help but smile at the sight of her daughter smiling telling her about her new friend. Isabella also said that Hilary wanted to meet Emily and Emily said she would love to.
"I told her you would" Bella smiled.
They talked a bit more and then Emily reminded Bella to go get her school clothes ready for the next day and check to see if she had everything she needed on her bag. Emily could see Isabella got tense when she mentioned school but she chose not to ask why. She knew it could probably just make it worse for Bella to go.

So Bella went upstairs to do what she was told. She got her clothes out of the wardrobe, folded it and placed it on her desk. She checked her bag and everything was in there, so she decided to shower. She didn't take long and went out to find Emily sitting on her bed.
"Pajamas already?" Emily asked and Bella didn't say anything but she smiled. "Well, dinner's ready" Emily said. Isabella placed her dirty clothes on the bed and hugged her mom.
"Are you alright?" Emily asked concerned about the unexpected hug.
"Yes" Bella said letting go of Emily.
"are you sure?" Emily asked still confused.
"Yeah. I just wanted to hug you" Bella smiled. Emily smiled at her and pulled her into another hug.
"Let's go eat" Bella said letting go of the hug. Emily stood up and they headed downstairs.
They ate tacos for dinner and then sat to watch some tv. Emily could see Bella seemed to be getting more and more nervous as the night went on, so she asked if she wanted to play some chess. After the game Emily said "we should go to bed. We wake up early tomorrow". Isabella gave her a little smile and said "sure". They went up and Emily tucked Bella in, choosing not to mention the young girl's nervousness, and then left the girl's bedroom.

It wasn't long till Bella walked into Emily's bedroom.
"Mom?" She called.
"Is everything okay?" Emily asked sitting on the bed.
"Can I sleep here? Just tonight." Isabella asked shyly.
"Sure. Come on" Emily said pushing the covers away so Bella could lay underneath it. Bella went in and hugged Emily. She had her blanket in her hands but left the stuffed animal in her bedroom.
"Are you sure you're okay?" Emily asked still hugging Bella.
"Yeah." Bella said letting go of the hug.