♡20♡

Immediately, I turned around and threw open the door. I hurried out the room, looking frantically for her.

"Shizuka?! Baby, where are you?!" I called.

I heard crying in the kitchen, and quickly ran in there. Shizuka was on the floor, nursing her arm and sobbing. She had a huge burn mark on the side with her palm on it (I can't really explain it).

"Shizuka, what did you do?!" I asked, dropping to the floor in front of her.

She just cried heavily, tears rolling down her face and onto her shirt.

"You just stay here, and I'll get you some ice cold water," I said.

Erie, who stood in the kitchen, looked at Shizuka in concern.

"Erie, go find some ointment and bandages," I ordered.

She left and I got a big bowl and ran cold water in it. Then I went in the freezer and got ice cubes out and plopped them into the bowl as well. I went into the bathroom in search of a clean wash rag. Once I found one, I ran back into the kitchen and got the bowl out the sink, and sat it next to Shizuka.

I dipped the rag in the water, wrung it out, and applied it to Shizuka's burn wound.

Shizuka sobbed less and less the more I applied the cool water, and she was reduced to a whimpering mess.

Erie finally came back with the ointment and bandages. "What happened?" She asked.

"I'm not sure. I've just got her to stop crying," I replied. "Now go get that ice pack and put it on your eye before I punch your other eye."

Erie gave me a small smile before she left again.

Shizuka was focused on her arm, watching as I kept applying the cold water on her burning skin.

"Shizuka? Shizuka, look at me."

Slowly, the younger looked up at me. Her eyes were full of fear. Was she scared of me?

"What happened?"

"I...I got curious. The stove..."

I knew what she was trying to say, and I frowned. "What have I told you about playing with hot things?"

She dropped her head. "I'm a bad girl."

"What? No no no no no! Just...sit down where I tell you to next time, okay? Don't explore unless I'm with you, okay?"

"Okay."

I continued cooling her arm off until she was silent. "Does it feel better?" I asked.

"Hai."

"Good."

I dried her arm off carefully with paper towels and looked at the mark. "It doesn't look too bad. Just a 1st degree burn. Your reflexes are quick."

Shizuka's eyes were on me as I applied the ointment to her burn and I wrapped her arm up. Then I met her gaze with mine and smiled at her.

"Arigatou, Ami," she thanked.

"You're welcome, Shizuka."

She stared ay me for a few more seconds before abruptly standing up.

"Want some ice cream?" I asked as I began cleaning up.

"Mochi?" She questioned.

"Sure."

"Yay!" She started to clap, but quickly stopped, exclaiming, "Ouch!"

I shook my head and got the mochi out the freezer. I watched her as she ate her mint ones, not getting myself any. I'd rather watch her enjoy hers.