23. Colors & Promises

I quickly took a glass of sweet tea to Austin who sat patiently with Charlie who was laughing at something he said, it's two in the afternoon and I have about an hour and a half left of work for the day then the rest of the weekend off, am I complaining, not at all.

We've been so busy with requests that I find myself taking home work to finish up cakes or cookies for some occasion that my customer needs it for.

This past month has been insane, and what makes matters worse, it's the middle of September and it's still burning up outside, all I want is fall so I can be happy again.

"Thanks Rae." Austin smiles.

"No problem, is everything good?"

"Yes, I'm in love with these banana nut cookies." Charlie says taking a bite out of one.

"Well I'm glad you like it. Everyone seems to have their favorites, like Austin with his peanut butter fudge brownies."

"Oh yes I love those, they make me fat but it's all worth it." He says closing his eyes and rubbing his stomach.

I laugh and shake my head at him then run my hand through my hair, "So what are you guys' plans for the day?"

"Um, going to walk around the pier maybe, then we saw a sign for a movie in the park tonight so I think we're doing that." Austin says looking at Charlie.

"Oh really? I'll be there tonight too; you guys should definitely go." I smile.

"Yeah, sounds like a fun plan, we'll be there." Charlie says nodding to Austin.

I smile then hear Sarah call me from the back kitchen, I excuse myself then go to where the shouting is, finding her with white powder all over her face, arms and hands, "What the hell happened?" I laugh.

"I opened the powdered sugar and it freaking exploded!"

I double over in laughter at the sight of her, I could practically feel the holes burning into me by her, "It's not funny."

"Oh hell yeah it is." I laugh more.

"Help me clean Rae." She says sternly.

I keep laughing but nod my head as I grab a broom then begin sweeping up what dropped on the floor, then helped Sarah try and get it out of her jeans, that she was brave enough to wear on this hot day.

"Is it time to close?" She asks once we're done cleaning the back room.

I look at my watch and realize it's three thirty, "Yeah, I better go lock the doors."

I go to the front to see Alex had already locked them and began counting her cash drawer, we finish cleaning the rest of the shop then around four we decide it's time we leave.

When I got home I let Max out to the back and left the door open just a slight so he can come in when he wanted to.

I went over to the fridge and pulled out one of Jaime's Gatorades then found a note stuck to the front of the refrigerator door,

Hey babe,

I'll be at practice, gonna be talking about another tour.

I'll meet you at the park for the movie, don't wait for me.

Love, Jaime

I nodded to no one in particular then placed the note on the counter, going upstairs and to our bedroom to lay down on the bed until I have to get ready for the movie tonight.