005

Five | Barbecue Bites Back

I was sitting at the bar of The Grill. I placed the book that I had taken from Duke, that I had yet to read, onto the surface infront of me. I flicked open the first page which spoke about the pattern of the Fell family being mostly doctors; though my mother was a dressmaker and my father a reverend.

The time of their deaths were so close, but I believed my father had died in an unfortunate fire that happened in Mystic Falls in 1864. As for my mothers death, I still didn't know.

Before I became a vampire, I had wanted to become a doctor. Now, although I could just about control it, even the smell of blood made me want to drink every last drop. So that occupation was a no go. But a perk of the vampirism was that I could still save people with my blood.

I turned over the page to see my name in cursive writing at the top. The page read:

Cassandra Fell

-- Born 16th May, 1846 - (I had turned 19 a few months before I became a vampire.)
-- Daughter of Honoria and Thomas Fell.
-- Occupation: Trainee Doctor
-- Close friend of the Salvatore brothers.
-- Killed by Katherine Pierce in 1864.

It didn't say much else. I downed the rest of my bourbon and placed some money down on the bar. Before I got up, I heard Damon's voice behind so I remained in my seat.

"See you at Jenna's barbecue." Damon spoke. I turned my head to see who he was talking to, it was Elena.

"How did you know about Jenna's barbecue?" Elena asked him.

"It was my idea." He told her, "Jenna went to high school with Mason Lockwood so I figured a social gathering would be a good way to get to know the guy. So I told Ric to tell Jenna and..."

"Does Jenna know that you're going to be there?" The brunette asked, "Because she's not exactly a fan of yours."

I softly laughed, it seemed nobody was a fan of his. I pushed myself up, placing the book back in my pocket. A waitress headed past me with a box in her hands and gave it to Damon.

"Perfect. Thank you." Damon smiled, taking the box from her. He faced Elena again, "I'm hoping this peach cobbler will pave the way."

"What are you up to?" Elena questioned Damon as I walked over to them.

"I'm gonna put some silver into Mason Lockwood and prove he is a werewolf." Damon smirked, "See you at the barbecue."

"Really? That's your big plan?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow at him.

"Yes, Cassie." He replied before he left the bar without any further details.

Elena turned to me, "Please come to the barbecue so I'm not stuck with all the boring adults and Damon."

"No, no, no." I said, waving my hands for emphasis.

"Please. Jenna likes you and it's free food." She smiled, "Please."

"Fine. Only for the food." I caved. She playfully hit my arm and I laughed, "I'm joking."

"Caroline insisted on coming, she said she needs a distraction from the blood." Elena told me.

"Okay, I'll see you both later."

▂▂▂▂

A few hours later I was sitting on the sofa of the Gilbert house. Jenna and Elena were in the kitchen talking and preparing food for the barbecue. I impatiently tapped my finger on my leg. Someone entered the house, I turned my head to see Mason and Alaric walk into the kitchen.