056

Fifty-Six | Dropping The Veil

"Stamp, please." Caroline said to Elena as I approached them. They were sitting outside of The Grill. I sat down in the empty seat at their table.

"Hey, what are you guys doing?" I asked, staring down at the table that was filled with a bunch of stationery and papers.

"We're writing graduation letters." Caroline said, continuing to put a stamp on an envelope.

"I'll just pretend I know what that is." I replied. I looked at the pile of letters next to Caroline, "How many people do you know exactly?"

I turned to Elena, she had one letter infront of her, "And where are your pile of letters?"

"You know, both of you don't have to pretend to be nice to me. I know this is just a ploy to keep me distracted." Elena sighed.

Although Elena had turned her humanity back on, she was focused on one emotion: rage. She wanted to kill Katherine for everything she had caused, and especially because she'd killed Jeremy.

Caroline looked up to Elena, "You're done? I'm only on my second batch."

She held up one letter, "We have family friends in Denver. Other than that, no one cares that I'm graduating and, to be honest, neither do I."

"I know that's how you feel now, but once you get through this hating Katherine phase -- "

Elena interupted Caroline, "Wait, do you know where Katherine is?"

"No. Why would I know where she is?" Caroline asked, furrowing her brows.

"Yeah, but, Caroline, if you did, you would tell me, right?" Elena asked.

"Elena, you're obsessing." I told her.

Elena grabbed Caroline's arm, "Caroline, listen to me, if you know where Katherine is then you have to tell me."

I pulled her hand off Caroline, "Elena, she doesn't know where she is. Chill."

Elena looked over at me before sitting back in her chair. I know Katherine had killed her brother but she was getting too obsessed with trying to find her. I teared another stamp off for Caroline, still keeping an eye on Elena.

▂▂▂▂

I was standing at the bar inside The Grill with Caroline and Rebekah. Matt was behind it. I downed a shot and slammed the glass on the bar. I watched a couple walk into the building, the wind behind them blowing their hair around like crazy.

"Is it supposed to rain tonight?" Caroline asked.

"Do I look like a meteorologist?" Rebekah frowned.

"No, you look like an idiot. Do something useful, give Elena a drink, she looks like she could use it." I said, watching Elena throwing darts. Rebekah narrowed her eyes at me and took a bottle and some shot glasses over to Elena.

I watched as someone else entered the building, their hair getting blown around, even more violently than the couple before, "What is with that wind?"

"I don't know, the news doesn't say anything about winds." Matt replied.

Suddenly the lights went out. I frowned as I looked over at Caroline in concern. We headed outside the building. The wind was blowing strong and debris was flying through the air. I could hear things falling to the ground nearby.