030

Thirty | Jekyll and Hide

Alaric was laying down on the MRI couch about to go inside the scanner. Elena, Meredith and I were in the control room, watching him. We had come to the hospital to figure out what exactly was happening to Alaric because he didn't seem to remember anything that had happened.

"What are you looking for?" Elena asked Meredith.

"I don't know." Meredith gave a small shrug, "A tumor, vascular anomalies, anything physical that might explain his behavior. If it's medical, I can treat it."

She cocked an eyebrow, "And if it's not?"

Meredith looked into the room through the window, "Well, then we'll deal with that too."

A technician slid Alaric inside the machine. I watched, intrigued, "We didn't have this technology when I was a doctor."

"You were a doctor?" Meredith asked. I nodded in response.

"When did you suspect him? That it was Alaric who was killing all of those people?" Elena asked Meredith. She seemed to have figured it out before he attacked me.

"It was after he told me about his ring." Meredith replied.

"Or when he tried to kill me?" I mildly joked.

She continued, "I remembered a story my grandmother had told me about Samantha Gilbert and her secret journal. I don't know if you know this, but we Fells are notorious busy-bodies."

"But then, why did you protect him?" Elena asked.

"Because I'm a doctor, I don't like to see someone hurt by something they have no control over. And because when he and I first met I felt like -- I don't know, I -- I just kind of want to help him." Meredith replied. She pressed a speaker button and spoke to Alaric inside the room, "Everything alright in there?"

"Yeah." He exhaled, "Yeah, everything's okay."

▂▂▂▂

Elena and I walked into a hospital room that they'd given to Alaric. He was now dressed back into his regular clothes rather than the hospital gown.

"Meredith says that everything is normal." Elena told him.

"Yeah, well, everything is normal, because there is nothing wrong with me." Alaric frowned, "I didn't kill Brian Walters, I didn't kill Bill Forbes, I didn't shove a hunting knife into my stomach and I sure as hell didn't try to kill you, Cassie."

"I think I know when I'm trying to be killed, Alaric." I stated.

He looked at the chunky Gilbert ring that was still on the table, "Or I did and I've gone insane, just like your ancestor who wore that ring."

"Look, I'm gonna call Bonnie, the rings were made by a Bennett witch so maybe a witch can reverse the damage." Elena said.

Alaric pushed the ring along the table and towards Elena, "Take it. I don't want it any more."

"You ready to ditch this House of Horrors?" Damon asked, entering the room. He pulled a face at Alaric, "Oh, you look terrible."

"Way to keep him positive, Damon." I smiled sarcastically and left the room.

▂▂▂▂

There was a knock on the boarding house door. I groaned, pushing myself up and answered it. Elena was standing on the other side, "Hey, I was just about to call you."