037

Thirty-Seven | On The Edge

I slipped my finger over the answer button and pressed my phone to my ear, "Hey, Kol."

"Hey, I haven't spoken to you since yesterday morning. Where were you?" He asked, concerned.

"Yeah, I kind of got locked in a cage by the council." I sighed, "Before he died, Alaric outed us to the council, so they all know that we're vampires."

"Great. Another problem added to the list." Kol replied, sarcastically.

"Tell me about it." I sighed again. I walked across the road and towards a pile of boxes in the middle of the town square.

"What happened to Elena?" He asked.

I closed my eyes as a flash of last night ran through my head. The officer, his blood and myself feeding on innocent people. I took in a deep breath and opened my eyes, "She fed. Stefan's teaching her to feed on his weird animal diet. She's gonna be okay."

"And are you okay?" Kol asked. I saw Jeremy and Matt walking towards me.

"I'm, uh, I'm good." I lied, "There's just a lot going on, as always."

"Don't let it get to you, darling." Kol said.

I smiled at the word darling. The way he said it made me feel comfort, "I need to go, I promised I'd help Jer with some stuff."

"Okay. Call me later." Kol said.

The line went dead and I placed the phone in my pocket. I picked up two boxes piled on each other, "Hey guys."

"Hey." Jeremy smiled.

"Where did you want these boxes?" I asked him.

"In the boot of the car." Jeremy replied.

"Okay." I headed towards the car they had just walked from.

Matt had already made his way back there and opened up the trunk. I placed the boxes inside. Jeremy came over to put more boxes in the car. I could hear both their hearts beating loudly in my ears.

"So, what are these again?" Matt asked Jeremy.

"They're paper lanterns. The student council made them for after the Memorial. We light them up in honor of all the dead." Jeremy replied. We walked back over to the boxes.

"Nobody thought fire might be a little inappropriate?" I jokingly questioned.

"Yeah, I wouldn't make that crack in front of Elena." Jeremy replied.

"How is she?" Matt asked.

He sighed, "I guess she's fine, considering."

"If there's anything I can do, you know, short of giving her a ride, you'll let me know, right? I'm only alive because she told Stefan to save me first. She's a vampire because of me, so I'd like to pay it back or forward or whatever."

"So that's what happened in the river." I mumbled mostly to myself. I grabbed another box, Jeremy and Matt grabbed the last two.

A girl suddenly approached us, "Jeremy?" We all stood in silence, staring at her, "Picture an emo pixie cut and braces."

Jeremy eyebrows raised in surprise, "April?"