013

Thirteen | Distractions

I woke up to the sunlight brightly shining through the room. Once again, I had forgotten to close the curtains when I had gone to bed, it was becoming a habit of mine. I groaned, pushing myself up against the headboard and grabbed the TV remote from the bedside table.

I pointed it at the TV. The news channel immediately appeared on screen and woman was standing outside the Mystic Falls school, the name Andie Star was positioned below her.

"The authorities believe last night's assailant may also be related to the missing campers and park ranger who have yet to be found, as well as twenty-five-year-old Jessica Koenig, reported missing this morning. The sheriff's department says investigations are pending and no further comment will be made. In related news Mayor Lockwood spoke earlier today."

Carol Lockwood then came onto the screen, "Due to the recent tragedies that have plagued our town, we will be holding a memorial in Town Square today to honor all those we have lost. Join us and hope that as a community we -- "

"You brought back John Gilbert?" Damon's voice cut through the sound of the TV, "That was your big "Save Elena" move?"

"I went to go look for Isobel, and I got John instead." Stefan told him, "He said he can help us, and we're desperate."

I climbed out of bed and walked to my wardrobe, picking out a dark red dress and black tights. I gave up on the news as the brothers voices were louder, so I turned the tv off and got dressed, also putting on some black boots.

I stood infront of the mirror, examining my arm from last night. It was completely healed but I was still in shock, Damon had never physically hurt me before. I put my leather jacket on and walked out my room and downstairs, into the living room.

I was about to go to the kitchen to get something to eat but I felt Stefan's presence behind me. I turned around as he put on his jacket, "Emergency at Caroline's, you coming?"

Anything to get out of this house, away from Damon for a while to avoid the awkward conversation that was bound to happen. I nodded, "Yeah."

▂▂▂▂

I knocked on Caroline's door. I watched her walking down the hallway through the window in the front door. She opened it and Stefan walked straight inside. I followed but got slightly bounced back by the threshold.

"Caroline?" I shouted, they were already halfway down the hallway.

She turned around, "Oh, sorry. Cassie, you can come in."

I held my foot through the door, checking if I could get in but I couldn't. Caroline frowned and then we all realised.

"I completely forgot." She said, "I'm still getting used to being a vampire. My mom's not home."

"Then let's take it onto the porch?" Stefan suggested and Caroline agreed.

I stepped back and sat on the bench outside, Caroline followed and sat beside me whilst Stefan stood infront of us.

"So what's wrong?" Stefan asked her.

"Tyler knows about you and Damon. He knows that Damon killed Mason. I didn't say a word." Caroline said, she stared at me, "He doesn't know about you, Cassie."