Chapter One

Delia
.
.
.

"Can I get you anything sweetheart?" The blonde flight attendant with the overly sweet smile asked.
"Some water would be great." I half smiled. She had been trying to get me to drink or eat something for the past 7 hours. She frowned and handed me a water along with a bag of chips.
"Here, sweetie. For later." She winked at me and turned to ask the man on the opposite side of the aisle.

I put my hair into a bun and pulled out my compact to look at my reflection. The bags under my eyes were noticeable in contrast to my pale skin and my red hair looked a complete mess. The light freckles spread almost delicately around my nose and upper cheeks made me think of the photos I had of my mother.

I sighed and pulled out a small photo album. Pictures of me and my parents when I was an infant with my godfather Sirius Black filled the small collection and I bit my lip, as my eyes watered. I had only two photographs of us together after he'd escaped.  I put the album back into my bag and looked out the window. I'd been robbed of time I was supposed to spend with him after he had escaped Azkaban. I was supposed to move in with him and Harry Potter, seeing as we were both his godchildren. I had wondered what it would've been like for months now after Sirius' death. I had never spoken to Harry, the only interaction between us which was purely through owl mind you, and was motivated by Sirius' death and our mutual loss.

I had lived in the United States for two years now, at the insistence of Sirius. After he'd escaped, he contacted me by owl to leave immediately to the States. He wanted to keep me safe and he'd made me change my last name as well. I had been going by Delia Kingsley for so long I'd forgotten my real last name. Edwards.

My parents, Audra and Malcolm Edwards had passed nearly 1 year after my birth. After that, I'd stayed at my aunt's who's disapproval of "magical nonsense" was clear from the day she took me in. My father had been a muggle and as such, so was mostly all of his family. My mother was a metamorphmagus and she'd passed that on to me. I learned to control it over the years after my aunt enforced a long line of beatings every time I did it in her presence. I'd attended Beauxbatons Academy. To no surprise, my aunt was not pleased but let me attend so she would not have to deal with me. She was even more pleased when I told her I'd have to attend muggle schooling in America for the last two years. When I sent her an owl telling her I'd be going to Hogwarts next year, she'd started ignoring me. I'd sent letters but they were all sent back.

The plane landed a short 3 hours later in London and I walked out of the terminal to find my caretakers for the moment. I saw a woman with bright pink hair and knew it had to be Tonks and Lupin. They were holding a paper with my named scrawled across it and smiled when they saw me approaching them.

"Hello darling! I'm Tonks, obviously. Are you hungry? How was the flight?" She nervously asked. I smiled and tucked a loose hair behind my ear.
"It was exceptionally boring to say the least. But on the bright side, I had a window seat." Lupin smiled and looked at me more closely, concerned.
"You're looking a tad pale, have you eaten?" He asked. I looked at the floor and shook my head.
"Truthfully, not much. I've had water and some nasty salad that tasted like dirt. But I'd already paid for it so I just ate it anyways." I said. They chuckled and we walked over to get the rest of my luggage.

Tonks told me she was a metamorphmagus as well and to my surprise, changed so as to have a cat's face right in the airport. Lupin got incredibly nervous after that because of all the muggles around but she didn't care. We arrived at the Burrows which was the Weasley home, from what Lupin told me. Lupin could tell I was uneasy about entering and he gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze before we'd headed in.
"Go ahead and rest, I'll have someone wake you when supper's ready." Tonks said, smiling and setting down one of my suitcases.
"Thanks.... For everything." I said, hoping she knew everything I was actually thanking her for. Her hair turned a soft pink and she smiled back appreciatively before waving, exiting the room. I sighed and kicked off my sneakers, sliding into the old bed. The sheets smelled fresh and the pillow was cold, the way I liked it. I closed my eyes hoping I could finally settle here.