Chapter Fifteen

Hey guys! Here's the next chapter so enjoy! I won't be uploading the next chapter unless I get a comment on this one so keep that in mind. I really want to know what you guys think!
xoxo
____________________

Delia
.
.
.
"Delia, I can't. I can't leave her." He said. I felt a pain in my chest and looked away, utterly disappointed.
"Alright. You can't, you know...We're friends."
"I'm sorry." I walked past him towards the door but not before turning my head over my shoulder.
"Me too. For feeling this way." I trudged my way back to the Gryffindor common room, head down. He'd chosen her. Again. I don't know why I thought even for a second he'd pick me. I felt like everything around me was moving in slow motion, like in a movie. Ginny and Hermione spoke to me but I could only hear the drone of their voices. I didn't answer, I just got in bed, shoes and all. I was wide awake for quite some time before falling asleep to Ella's soft purring.

Draco
.
.
.
Her facial expression said she didn't care but her eyes betrayed her. They were a pale grey, stark in contrast to her honey brown eyes I'd usually seen her with. I could tell she was hurt and I wanted to reach out to her but I couldn't. Her voice kept replaying in my head and contrary to what she was probably thinking, it tore at me to hear her say what she did.

Me too. For feeling this way.

I shook my head and went to the room of requirement. Taking out the letter my father had sent me yesterday, I read it again.

Draco,

Are you attempting to test his patience? Don't be an imbecile and fix that damn cabinet. You know what this could mean for our family. I've written to you to tell you that I have decided that for the interest of the Malfoy name, you will marry Pansy. You are already entangled with her from what I've heard so it should prove to be most unchallenging for you. Begin courting her at once. I know you would not want to further tarnish the family name. Finish the cabinet. I'll be waiting for your response.

-Lucius

I crumpled the letter in my fist, shoving it back in my pocket. I didn't want anything to do with this fucking cabinet and here I was. A damn puppet. I knew my father was making me marry her for taking so long with the cabinet but that was a little too harsh, even for him. Things must be horrible at home for him to force me to marry her. I shuddered at the thought of taking her hand in marriage, and of course after marriage we'd be expected to....procreate. Pansy was a distraction, nothing more. I had feelings for her in the beginning but they quickly diminished after I learnt of her possessiveness and jealousy. I mean, the girl was bloody OBSESSED with me. But there was no way out of this. At least, not for the time being.

Delia
.
.
.
The rest of the week passed quicker than I thought, and soon enough I was packing to head to the Burrows for the holidays. Draco and I had gone back to normal and he didn't cross any boundaries again. Secretly I wished he would but I just had to accept that if he did, I'd be a second choice. I deserved better than to be a girl on the side but I also knew I deserved him. We were a perfect fit, like cookies and chocolate chips but he'd chosen her. Pansy seemed to be around him more than usual. I tried to avoid them together as best I could but she always found a way to make sure I'd notice. We were meeting in a few minutes before boarding the train in the astronomy tower and I was excited to give him his Christmas gift. It wasn't anything special, just an old Walkman I'd found at a garage sale with a playlist I'd recorded for him. I carefully wrapped the small box I'd placed it in with some headphones and a small letter inside. I grabbed the peppermint patterned box and headed to the tower. He was already waiting when I got there and I smiled, heart unsteadily beating.
"Hey, Dee."
"Hey. I reckon it's a bit stupid but I um, got something for you." I handed him the box and his eyes lit up, gaping at me.
"A present? Christ I haven't gotten a gift in years.." My heart sunk at the thought of a Christmas at Malfoy manor.
"It's nothing huge, just something small. I mean really it-" He enveloped me into a tight hug and I flushed.
"This is one of the best things to happen to me this year, you have no idea." He chuckled and I could smell the familiar sweet scent of peppermint, the aroma filling up my nose.
"Well I'm glad I could contribute to at least one." I rubbed my arm insecurely, figuring most of the others were because of Pansy.
"Actually, you're in all of them." He chuckled, grinning like a little kid. My heart fluttered and he cleared his throat, shifting his stance.
"I suppose your holiday will be all cozy at the Weasley's." He said, suddenly more reserved.
"Yeah it's so..."
"Cramped?"
"No... it's so warm. I don't think I've met a family more loving as them. Harry's great, he's like a brother to me. I've never felt so loved like when I'm around them." I felt a wide smile across my face and a smile tugged at his lips as he looked at me with a hint of what seemed like admiration.
"Well you should head to the train then. It'll be leaving soon."
"Well yeah but aren't you coming?"
"Yeah but we can't really go, you know, together.." Realization hit me and I nodded, pressing my lips together.
"Right. Well there's a letter inside for you and I've put the same enchantment as on our other letters in case your father sees it or whoever else you may not want to know that you associate with me."
"Dee, come on. You know it's not like that."
"No I know. I just...whatever it doesn't matter I'm not going to let it spoil our goodbye." I smiled weakly at him and gave him a gentle hug, taking a last whiff of his cologne.
"Well I can see you, if you'd like. My father's supposed to finish teaching me to disapparate."
"Draco you know we can't use magic outside of school."
"Forgot about that."
"Actually is there a portkey near you? There's one not too far from the Burrows from what Harry's told me."
"Yeah I'll figure it out. Don't forget to write, Dee."
"I won't." I walked away and before I knew it, I was headed home to the Burrows. It was going to be strange really, not seeing him everyday. But I suppose some distance might do me some good and besides, I wouldn't have to see him and Pansy together. Although, he'd been looking rather exhausted lately like he hasn't been sleeping well. The bags under his eyes were more prominent and I wanted to know why but I couldn't ask. Usually he'd get angry so I'd rather avoid that. Harry, Ron and Hermione were talking but I wasn't paying attention as I looked at the castle slowly disappear from view.
"Excited to be away for a bit?" Ron asked, nudging my shoulder.
"You made her lose her train of thought, Ron." Hermione scolded.
"No it's fine. But to answer your question, yes, I am quite excited. I've missed your mum's cooking dearly." I said. Harry smiled and I returned the favor. I did miss Mrs. Weasley's cooking no doubt but I had a feelingn my thoughts would be occupied by Draco this entire holiday. I was right.