Chapter Sixteen

Hey guys! This one is a lot longer than my updates usually are so I would think that there would be plenty to say about it. Please comment!
xoxo
___________________
Delia
.
.
.
I took out my quill and some parchment to respond to him.

Draco,
How is it with your parents? I mean are they around at all? I hate to pry but I'm curious. I just hope your holiday is better. The Weasley's are great. It's still weird without Hermione but I've got Ginny. In response to your question, I used to take lots of photographs with a Polaroid I had when I was younger. I lost it sometime ago moving to a new house with my aunt.
What was your favorite Christmas gift from all the ones you've gotten?
~ Dee

I sent the parchment with an owl and took Ella in my arms, walking downstairs. Mrs. Weasley was preparing a light supper for tomorrow, looking exhausted. I approached the kitchen and heard a laugh come from the fireplace where Ron and Harry were sitting.
"D'you need any help, Mrs. Weasley? You look like you could use a hand." She smiled at me sweetly.
"I'm alright dear but you can help in a little while with the cake if you'd like." I nodded and walked away to join Harry and Ron.
"What's so funny, you two?" I asked, sitting cross-legged next to Harry.
"We're trying to figure out what mum's gift to you is. She fancies knitting so my guess is a sweater with a huge D across the chest." Ron snickered and I nudged him.
"My bet is a multicolor hat with a couple D's around the brim." Harry wiped his nose, chuckling and I rolled my eyes.
"You two are horrible, honestly. I'd kill to have a homemade anything!"
"What about that high class black scarf you've worn a few times?" Harry asked and I gulped, hoping he hadn't seen the small initials on the corner of the seam.
"Yes, that's um, about the only one I've got.."

An hour passed as we talked about how obsessive Lavender Brown had gotten with Ron and her incessant need to snog him whenever she'd see him. Supper was served and I gratefully shoveled the food into my mouth. Lupin and Tonks were staying the night since Christmas was hours away, and I was elated to be spending time with them. I heard a pair of wings approaching the window and I got up to grab the letter.
"You're popular this holiday, Delia." Tonks said with a mischievous smile playing on her lips.
"She fancies someone but won't tell us who it is." My cheeks flushed as soon as the words escaped Ginny's lips and Harry looked at me curiously.
"Oh leave her alone, Ginny. You're one to talk." Fred said, making her face turn beet red and from the corner of my eye I saw Harry rub his neck, seemingly uncomfortable. I opened the letter, turning away from those seated at the table.

Dee,

My father is unbearable and my mother tolerates it for some reason I'm unaware of. I don't understand how she could be so stupid. We're not having a holiday dinner because he fucking ruined it after she worked so hard in preparing it. Pansy got wind of it from my father no doubt and keeps bothering me to come over tomorrow. Would you be able to see me tomorrow night? I've got something for you. The best gift I've received for Christmas was the black scarf I gave you. My mother gave it to me fifth year for my marks in Potions. No, I'm not asking for it back. Cashmere suits you.
-Draco

I placed the letter in my back pocket and approached Mrs. Weasley again.
"I really would love to make the cake for you. You've worked far too hard today."
"Are you sure you'll be alright making it by yourself, dear?" She looked relieved but concerned probably not wanting me to burn her kitchen to dust.
"Of course. I used to bake every year for Christmas with my aunt. It won't be anything too extravagant but I would love to do it."
"Okay dear. Everything is in the kitchen but call me if you need anything." I nodded and got out all the ingredients to make just a simple white cake with vanilla and nutmeg. As I was mixing everything in a bowl, my mind drifted to Draco's letter. How could someone be so selfish? The holidays are supposed to be a happy time and I was angry at his father for ruining it. Draco had already been having a hard time, he certainly didn't need his father turning his holidays sour. I put the cake in the oven and decided to wait for tomorrow to ice it. The entire house was fast asleep by the time the cake was done and I looked to the clock to see it was five past midnight. I quickly wrote him a letter saying "Happy Christmas", sending it out into the night with an owl.
.
.
.

Happy Christmas, Dee. I'll see you later around 9:30. Wait for my letter.
-Draco

I put away his letter and walked downstairs in my pajamas, Ella tailing behind me. Harry and Ron were seated in the living room with wrappings around them. I smiled as I tucked a hair behind my ear.
"Oh Happy Christmas, Delia!" Mrs. Weasley enveloped me into a hug and handing me a small box.
"Happy Christmas, Mrs. Weasley. You really didn't have to." I opened the box to see a thick terracotta colored scarf with a small initial in a cream yarn on the edge of it. I hugged her thanking her for her gift as Harry held a pair of grey knit socks. The day seemed to pass by relatively fast, and I was icing the cake right before Christmas dinner was ready. I decided to enchant the cake so that a small figurine of Santa Claus would skate around the top. There was plenty of food to go around and everyone was enjoying themselves except Harry. He wasn't in a terrible mood but I could tell something was bothering him. After dinner, Mr. Weasley, Harry, Lupin and Tonks sat near the fireplace in hushed whispers. I was clearing the table when I heard an angry tone in Lupin's voice so I decided to give them space to talk. I'd placed some clothes to dry outside on a clothesline with my trunk nearby. All my things were packed, including the letters and I just didn't want to carry all the clothes upstairs when I could just place it in my trunk. I decided to leave the trunk in the living room after I'd packed my freshly washed clothes. I was about to take my garments off the clothesline when I heard an owl squawking. I went to where it'd usually perch itself and took the letter from its small beak.

I'll be there in fifteen minutes. Meet me near the clearing.
-D

I went inside to get a small piece of cake and slipped out into the tall grass. After walking for about twenty minutes, I reached the clearing and there he stood. He had his hands in the pockets of his suit jacket with a black turtleneck to match. Draco smiled at me and I felt my breath shakily leave my lips.
"Is that for me?" He asked, pointing at the cake.
"Oh yeah, I made it." Draco looked at me in surprise, putting a forkful into his mouth. A smile formed on his lips and I pressed my lips together.
"This is probably the best cake I've eaten. Seriously, Dee it's really good."
"Thank you. How's your mum?" He handed me the cake and laid out a blanket I assumed we'd be sitting on. Draco gestured for me to join him on the blanket and I did, handing him back the cake.
"She's not talking much and neither is my father. He's such a selfish fuck."
"I'm sorry. Did you all do anything today?"
"No. No gifts, no tree, nothing. Honestly this cake is about the only festive thing I've come into contact with today." We sat for a small amount of time while he finished the piece of cake and I noticed his eyes trail over me.
"You look different." I looked down at my knee high socks and boots, pulling down the hem of my overall dress. I pulled my bottom lip between my teeth feeling his gaze on me.
"Delia, my father is forcing me to marry Pansy." My head spun around to look at him and I felt a palpable sting of hurt.
"Wh-what?" He had a pained expression on his face and I was sure I had one to match. He can't marry her...
"I want you to know that I don't want to. The thought of it...disgusts me."
"Why does it matter?"
"Christ, Delia. Because I have feelings for you."As soon as the words left him, I felt like a million butterflies were flying around in my stomach and chest and I couldn't hide the smile on my lips.
"So you lied the other night?"
"Yes because I'd just gotten his letter. Delia, I don't want her. I'm going to try to get out of this somehow but you have to be patient."
"I can't be the 'other woman', Draco. I won't."
"You're not. I just have to keep this act up for a little while until my father stops being completely mental." I stayed quiet and looked down at my hands when suddenly his lips were on mine. I guess he'd turned my head to face him in one fluid movement at some point because I hardly noticed. He tasted like peppermint and it was intoxicating, more than I'd ever imagined it to be. He pulled away and rested his forehead against mine, my head still spinning.
"I have something for you." He took a box out of a bag he'd brought and handed it to me. I pulled away the white wrappings to find an old polaroid camera in the box.
"Draco, I can't believe you got me a polaroid! Thank you." I hugged him in excitement and he kissed my head.
"There's only one thing I'll ask of you."
"And what's that?"
"The first picture you take has to be of us." I smiled and scoot a little closer to him and took the picture with the flash on since it was dark. I knew it'd take a few minutes to develop so I got up, putting the camera strap around my neck.
"Thank you so much. I've got to get back, I'm sure Harry is wondering where I am."
"Potter." He scoffed and I rolled my eyes.
"Don't be childish, Draco." I kissed his cheek, waving as I walked back to the Burrows. Three quarters of the way back, I saw fire surround the house.
"I killed Sirius Black! I killed Sirius Black!" The unmistakeable voice of Bellatrix Lestrange taunted. I caught sight of her and chased her angrily through the tall grass.