Chapter Four

Delia
.
.
.
"Here, let me help you with your tie." Hermione undid the knot I'd done in an attempt to make a decent tie.
"I didn't expect to have to know how to tie this shit." I was frustrated which didn't help my case seeing as I was nervous already. Hermione smiled and stepped back.
"There. Let's go to breakfast." We walked to the Great Hall and I sat in front of Harry. I ate some eggs and the rest of the food available immediately in front of me. Harry chuckled after I downed my second plate of food.
"I take it you eat when you're nervous?" He asked.
"Nervous, sad, angry..usually all of the above."

I took a sip of pumpkin juice and my eyes wandered to the Slytherin table. Malfoy was talking to his cronies Crabbe and Goyle and I saw a small smile come across his lips. My breath hitched in my throat and I ran my hand through my hair. Malfoy met my eyes and I could swear that the corner of his lips tugged up a little further. It seemed as though he remembered who I was and who he was because as quickly as he had seemingly smiled at me, he was glaring at me again. I looked away frustrated and got up to go to my first class of the day.
.
.
.
Herbology was exceptionally boring as Professor Sprout was talking to us about the importance and history of the subject. I was more than excited once the bell rang. I headed to Potions and saw Hermione, immediately smiling at the sight of her.
"How was your first class?" She asked. I groaned and rolled my eyes.
"I don't think I could've sat through another minute of Professor Sprout telling us how important Herbology was." She chuckled but stiffened, looking at the doorway. I followed her eyes to see Malfoy walk in with his two shadows and Blaise. Pansy wasn't far behind as usual, vying for Malfoy's undivided attention. I sighed as he smirked when he saw me.
"Oh look, the freak's here." He snickered, leaning against the wall next to me.
"Piss off, Malfoy." I flipped my now crimson red hair over my shoulder.

Professor Slughorn came in and said he would be assigning us to our work stations for the year. He placed most of the Gryffindors together with the exception of Pansy and Blaise being put with two other Gryffindors. The only four left were Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, and....me. You've got to be joking.
"Well, yes, I see some of you lot will be mixed up. Oh dear, Miss Edwards, you appear to be the only girl at this station. Miss Parkinson would you be so kind as to switch with Mr. Boyle here?" Professor Slughorn asked to which Pansy rolled her eyes.
"My name's Goyle, professor."
"Oh yes, sorry. You can go next to Mr. Zabini." Pansy took her place next to me, looking at me in hatred probably because I was stationed across from Malfoy's cauldron.
"Perfect, I'm across from a Weasley." Malfoy rolled his eyes.
"For the last time, I'm not a Weasley, ferret." I spat. Crabbe snickered but quickly stopped when Malfoy shot him a glare.

The rest of the class went on uneventfully just like my class before hand. Draco kept muttering under his breath and glaring at me every once in a while but I paid him no attention which made him even angrier.

I headed to Defense Against the Dark Arts and made my mind to sit in the back to avoid being directly in front of Snape. I'd heard he was extremely stern and the last thing I wanted was a teacher who hated me. The only problem was, I couldn't find the classroom. The hallways were empty until I ran into Professor Slughorn who was late to his own class after using the lavatory. He directed me to the classroom and Snape looked unimpressed as I walked in.
"Miss Edwards, I suggest you invest in a watch. I do not accept tardiness. Detention." I opened my mouth to protest but just looked for the nearest empty seat. Snape began introducing the subject in his monotone and drawn out voice. I sighed and looked to see the only seat available was to the right of Malfoy.
"Fucking hell." I said under my breath as I sat next to him. He smirked and leaned in towards me.
"Can't get enough of me can you, Edwards?"
"Don't flatter yourself, Draco." I said sternly, looking him straight in the eyes. My annoyed expression melted away as he kept looking at me searching my eyes for something I didn't know.
"Something you'd like to share with the class, Mr. Malfoy and Miss Edwards?" Before we could answer Snape raised his hand cutting us off.
"Detention." He went on with the lesson and I scoffed. Snape instructed us to take notes and I reached for my quill, but not before Malfoy took it from me.
"D'you mind, Malfoy?" I grit my teeth.
"I haven't got a quill. It's the least you could do for getting me that detention, Edwards." I rolled my eyes and pulled out an extra I had in my robes and dipped it into the ink at the same time as Malfoy. Our hands knocked against each other for a split second but not before I felt the coldness of his soft, pale skin. I glanced at him to see him writing down the notes Snape had left for us, unaware of the electricity that ran up my arm.
"Stop staring, freak. It isn't polite."
"You're vile. And a complete ass. If your ego got any bigger, it might surpass the size of your fat head, Draco." I spat angrily, writing down the notes and deciding to ignore him the rest of the period. He laughed at my remark and remained silent for the remainder of the class.

The bell rang and I bolted out of the class wanting to get as far away from him as I could. I felt someone tug my robes and turned to see Draco- I mean Malfoy. What the hell? We were NOT on a first name basis.
"Your quill." He held out the quill I'd let him borrow with a small smile on his lips.
"Thanks. You didn't have to give it back, I've got plenty." He rolled his eyes and seemed to suddenly get angry.
"Whatever, freak." Malfoy walked off, fuming. I went after him and pulled him around the face me.
"Malfoy, I didn't mean-"
"Get off me, you filthy half-blood!" He pushed me off and stormed to the Slytherin table. I looked down at the floor and sat next to Harry. They were all talking about Quidditch try-outs and I was thankful they were too busy to notice the few tears that slipped down my face. I hadn't had anyone speak to me like that in years. It reminded me of my aunt who hated me and I pushed the food around my plate, suddenly without an appetite. I took two muffins and put them in my pockets. I felt Malfoy looking at me, so I got up and went to the library to get away from everyone for a while. The last thing I wanted was to talk to anyone, and I'd avoid it at all costs.. For right now at least.