Chapter Thirty-Five

Hey my loves! Here is a new chapter, long and happily written! Please enjoy and as always COMMENT! Thanks for those of you that continue to vote and comment, it makes me really happy.

Also I've started a vampire themed story (Crimson Daydream) if you all wanna check it out! It's in my works so check it out! I have a lot planned!
xoxo
___________

Delia
.
.
.
"Try again. I know it's hard but you're almost there." Ginny said with a reassuring smile. I huffed, rubbing my arms again as the cold made a shiver crawl up my spine. It was dark out and I still couldn't produce this patronus charm. I could do pretty much every other spell, proven by our practice duels earlier, but I had a hard time with this. I couldn't find a memory good enough and I was beyond frustrated.
"I dunno, Ginny. I can't do it."
"Just try." I rolled my shoulders and raised my wand a little higher to be in line with my chest, concentrating hard on the memory I'd chosen. Harry had told me once he'd used a memory of his parents but since I didn't have any, I chose when I first looked through our family album and seen them. I was about 12 and it'd taken me awhile to be able to open the thing considering what had happened. It was a really happy and emotional moment because it gave me much needed closure.
"Expecto patronum!" A blue light spurted from my wand and I looked at Ginny happily. Just as I was about to celebrate, the light weakened and puffed out, making a sound similar to that of a rubber balloon deflating. I groaned, putting my hands in my hair in frustration.
"I'm hopeless."
"Maybe you're not using a memory that's strong enough?" Ginny suggested tentatively. I looked at her and realized she could be right. I'd have to think of something else.
"I just don't know what else to use. I mean you'd think something with my parents would work."
"I mean not to be rude but isn't the whole thing with your parents a bit sad?" I looked at her and nodded, pondering if that was why I couldn't do it. I paced for awhile searching for an adequate memory, finally remembering the first time Draco had told me he loved me. We'd been arguing that day because he wasn't ending things with Pansy and I had told him I loved him. I was crying and I ran away. Butterflies filled my stomach as I remembered the first time those three words came out of his mouth after he'd chased me down.
"Okay, I think I've got it." I took a deep breath and raised my wand again.

For the record, I love you too, Dee.

"Expecto patronum!" The blue light shot out from my wand and twisted around before taking shape The ball of blue formed into a small bird, flying around in circles and weaving between my arms and legs before stopping short in front of my face. The speed of its wings was different than that of others and I realized it was a hummingbird. I looked at Ginny as my patronus dissipated, elated that I'd finally done it.
"I told you you could do it! Now let's go inside. You owe me hot cocoa." Ginny walked over to me and slung her arm around me and I laughed.
"Thank you, Ginny. I hope I never have to use it except to show off." I shut the door and made my way into the kitchen, grabbing two mugs and a small pot from the cupboard.
"I have a bad feeling about this. Someone's gotta give and I reckon everything will blow up sooner or later." I looked at her as I broke the bar of chocolate over the milk that was warming in the pot. Increasing the heat so it'd boil faster with a spell I'd seen Mrs. Weasley use, I stirred the contents of the pot.
"You don't think there's going to be a war do you? I mean, that's completely mental. Right?" Ginny bit her lip looking unsure and I sighed, throwing more chocolate into the boiling milk. Just then, Lupin and Tonks came in, sitting at the table across from Ginny.

"What are you girls up to?" Lupin asked, smiling at me. Tonks rubbed her round stomach, and I smiled. I knew she was excited to have her first child even if Lupin was afraid he'd passed on his werewolf traits to him.
"Just making hot cocoa. Would you like some?" I asked, grabbing a small bag of mini marshmallows from a drawer to my left.
"Oh my god that sounds delicious. I knew I smelled chocolate. I bet Teddy will like it." Tonks said, practically salivating at the mouth.
"We'll take some." Lupin said, shaking his head.
"Can I have extra marshmallows?" Tonks asked, giving me a hopeful smile.  I grinned, throwing in a pinch of cinnamon to the cocoa and stirring it before I started to serve everyone. I brought Ginny and Tonks their mugs first, Lupin crossing his arms faking annoyance.
"Ladies first." I said, going back to get his mug along with mine. He chuckled as I set his mug in front of him, taking a seat next to Ginny. A moment of silence passed between us as we tasted the cocoa, most likely all of us burning our tongues. I know I did. I glanced at Ginny briefly before clearing my throat, Lupin looking up at me followed by Tonks.
"You guys don't think there's going to be a full blown war...do you?" They looked at each other and Lupin held the mug between his hands, steam escaping the ceramic cup.
"It is very likely." Ginny and I looked at each other.
"Harry and the others are Horcrux hunting though. Isn't that helping us win?"
"Yes but if You-Know-Who finds out, it could set things in motion we aren't ready for. The Order doesn't have very many members and people are too afraid to come out of the dark to stand up against You-Know-Who and his followers."
"Isn't there anyone left who is willing to stand up against him? Half of Hogwarts would be willing to sign up but I'm sure you don't take children."
"The only thing we want you involved in is giving us intel on what's going on inside those walls. You've done plenty enough preparing yourselves by practicing defensive spells and such." I sighed, taking a sip of cocoa. If there was a war coming, we had to be ready.
"We'll be ready if it comes to a war. You can count on us being there."
"I appreciate that but I couldn't ask that of you. We have to protect you. You're our daughter." I looked up at Lupin surprised at his word choice. He's never called me that.
"I don't think you've ever called me that." He reached for my hand and squeezed it, both him and Tonks smiling.
"I know. You're very important to us and we couldn't take it if something happened to you."
"I'm not a child."
"We aren't saying that but you ARE 17."
"My birthday is next month. Anyway why is it so normal for Harry to be out Horcrux hunting but me volunteering is out of the question?"
"Your mother and father would've wanted you safe." I snatched my hand out from under theirs, back against the chair.
"What do you know about my parents or what they would want?" I asked, voice cracking slightly.
"We knew your parents. We got along very well and we would meet up, your father and I, for a brandy sometimes." I stared down at the table for a moment in thought. It wasn't fair that they knew so much of them and I so little. I could've spent time with them if they hadn't been murdered by some Death Eater. I'd never learned their name and I wasn't sure I wanted to. Finally looking up at them, I decided to press further.
"What were they like?"
"Your mother was like me, able to change her appearance whenever she wanted. She obviously passed that onto you. She was a charming woman, humble and proud at the same time. She wouldn't stand for people and their narrow mindedness, especially when it had to do with blood status. She was a pure-blood." Tonks said, rubbing her stomach again.
"Your father was exactly the same, only, he was a muggle. He was always interested in the way we did things and spells and whatnot. An exceptionally curious man but in a good way. You could never feel awkward with him and he was loud, always the center of attention. His red hair didn't help much either." Lupin chuckled, pointing to my hair. I'd always wondered if my father's hair matched his personality and I guess it did.
"I just wish I could've known the. I mean, Harry's lucky in a way because he has a memory of them even if it's as brief as it is. I don't remember anything of them. I only have the pictures." I sniffled, wiping my nose. I was on the brink of tears but I didn't want to get all emotional and ruin everyone's evening.
"It's unfair for you and Harry that we got to spend so much time with them while you grew up without them." It got quiet again and knowing who had killed them kept crossing my mind. I had to know.
"Do you, um, know who killed my parents?" They remained quiet and so I looked them both hard in the eyes. I wasn't going to let it go.
"Delia, I don't know if-" Ginny interjected but I wasn't having it.
"Tell me. I know they were murdered by a Death Eater so I might as well know who it was."
"We're not exactly sure. There were a lot of rumors surrounding their death, Delia."
"Rumors? What kind of rumors?" They looked at each other and by this time I was starting to get agitated.
"Damn it, just tell me. I deserve to know."
"Alright well, there were rumors that there wasn't just one Death Eater at your parents' that night. Your parents had hidden you in a secret compartment in their bedroom closet. They used the muffliato spell so they couldn't hear you, in case you started crying."
"They knew they were coming for them?"
"Your parents were the only ones who hadn't been approached for recruitment. I'm sure they hid you once they saw them at their door."
"How do you know all this? Did you find me?"
"After no contact for a little more than 12 hours, I went round their place. I found them. And you." Lupin said, voice cracking softly.
"And you took me to my aunt's? Why didn't you just take me?"
"I was alone at the time and my condition made my life too unpredictable so it was best to place you with your aunt. She could provide you with stability, something I couldn't give you."
"What were the rumors of who killed them?"
"Supposedly the two Death Eaters that were there that night, as seen by your parents' neighbors across the street, were Bellatrix Lestrange and Lucius Malfoy." My breath hitched in my throat, and I felt like I was hit by a bus.
"And there were no witnesses besides the four of them inside the house." Lupin and Tonks nodded, Ginny putting her hand over mine. I was completely beside myself, and I didn't know what to do. Draco could know but it would kill him if it was his dad because of the pain it'd caused me all these years.  I wouldn't rest until I know who'd done this to my family, no matter who got in the way.